• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Ice Cream Flavors

OsaKuma

jalapeno-lime-maple does sound bad.

Nougat sounds goooood!

I think jalapenos in general taste too 'green' for icecream. Kinda like green bell peppers.

There might be better hot peppers for the purpose.

I've been meaning to make sweet corn icecream ever since someone foodblogged it here.

Maybe you will beat me to it, because its been .... 6 ? years?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Short discussion with DH. The Jalapeno-Lime Ice Cream went into the sink. That bad.

If you're still curious at this point, maybe trying the original would be a good base to compare the modified version to. Then you'd know if jalapeno ice cream isn't your thing or if it was the modifications that didn't work out. Brown sugar for white isn't really a minor flavor substitution.

I think jalapenos in general taste too 'green' for icecream. Kinda like green bell peppers.

I've been meaning to make sweet corn icecream ever since someone foodblogged it here.

Jalapeno sorbet is tasty but I've never used jalapeno in ice cream... maybe I should try. Sweet corn ice cream is nice. I like it with blueberry pie or crisp.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

How about habaneros? very fruity and floral, but of course kick-ass hot.

One solution: last year over in the "Cooking from 'Fiesta at Rick's'" topic, I made this fantastic Yucatecan Ceviche recipe, which used habanero chile in the marinade. The genius of the marinade was this: you added a halved, de-seeded habanero to the citrus juice for a short time and then discarded the pepper, using only the juice in the marinade. Result: all the flavor and complexity of the habanero with only some of the heat (your choice how long you let it steep). Perhaps the same technique could be used for sorbet or ice cream.

If you're still curious at this point, maybe trying the original would be a good base to compare the modified version to. Then you'd know if jalapeno ice cream isn't your thing or if it was the modifications that didn't work out. Brown sugar for white isn't really a minor flavor substitution.

Jalapeno sorbet is tasty but I've never used jalapeno in ice cream... maybe I should try. Sweet corn ice cream is nice. I like it with blueberry pie or crisp.

I might get to the corn ice cream...but maybe not too soon.

Tri2cook: I think you are correct. Piloncillo for white is a major change. I don't think I'll try the original recipe anyway. To tell the truth, we didn't even like the avocado ice cream all that much. We ate it all, but it would never be a favorite. Furthermore, DH does not like sorbets...just creamy ice cream. French Canadian background with all that that entails in sugar and cream.

We are just too wedded to the North American version of ice cream. What I have done, however, is made chocolate sauce for the ice cream with various hot pepper types in it. That I like.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

How about habaneros? very fruity and floral, but of course kick-ass hot.

One solution: last year over in the "Cooking from 'Fiesta at Rick's'" topic, I made this fantastic Yucatecan Ceviche recipe, which used habanero chile in the marinade. The genius of the marinade was this: you added a halved, de-seeded habanero to the citrus juice for a short time and then discarded the pepper, using only the juice in the marinade. Result: all the flavor and complexity of the habanero with only some of the heat (your choice how long you let it steep). Perhaps the same technique could be used for sorbet or ice cream.

It wasn't the heat...it was the taste.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

jalapeno-lime-maple does sound bad.

Nougat sounds goooood!

Sweet Corn Ice Cream is very good. I used to keep it on the menu in the summer. It's good with anything blueberry. I've been thinking about making it for myself since corn is in season now.

Edited by RWood (log)

Sweet Corn Ice Cream is very good. I used to keep it on the menu in the summer. It's good with anything blueberry.

Blackberry too...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I saw a new flavor of ice cream prepared by my colleague, one day in the restaurant. It was amazing. Following is the recipe.

Ingredients:

2 egg yolks

2 tablespoons dry green tea

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 vanilla pod

1 1/4 cups double (heavy) cream

1/4 cup caster sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

2 tablespoons boiling water

Take the dry green tea and soak in boiling water with the tablespoon of sugar for 10-12 minutes.

Into a saucepan put the vanilla pod and milk and gently bring to the boil then pour this over the tea. Leave to stand for 5 or 6 minutes.

Beat the egg yolks with the 1/4 cup caster sugar in a separate bowl and then strain the milk mixture into it.

Transfer to a saucepan and gently heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture is thick. Leave to cool. Whip the double (heavy) cream and fold into the cooled tea mixture. Transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the usual procedure of making ice-cream.

Serve it and enjoy the extremely new flavor. :smile:

I saw a new flavor of ice cream prepared by my colleague, one day in the restaurant. It was amazing.

I take it that you tasted it. Have you made it also?

When the recipe calls for 'dry green tea', what exactly does it mean?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had an orange and saffron sorbet the other day that was delicious - would go nicely with a lime/chilli one too i'm sure...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Had a nice ginger and orange semifreddo the other day. Would work in icecream too. Lemon and ginger is a classic combo in baking.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• Gelato di parmigiano (basically parmigiano reggiano, cream and milk) -Sshould be made fresh because without added stabilizers it will get rock hard very quickly. 4 hours at -25 °C was enough, unfortunately.
  • Olive oil sorbet from Migoya's Frozen Dessert - Sweet, but with a strong olive oil flavor. Since it is basically oil, water and sugar, it needs some hydrocolloids as stabilizers (I roughly adapted Migoya's sorbet mix for Biozoon hydrocolloids with their measuring spoon). I served it with feta and candied cherry tomatoes.

I used to make a sake sorbet that was served with a baby abalone appetizer. And, I made a lemon olive oil sorbet for something else, but can't remember, might have been oysters.

They were both good, but the sake was strong.

I made an amazing salty licorice ice cream yesterday. Using Turkish Pepper candies and crushed and melted in the custard and powered licorice. We ate it all before the day was over.

That ice cream sounds very unusual. Was the flavor intense? How did you estimate how much candy to use?

Welcome to eGullet, Carro-atyoursenses. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You can tune the flavor towards more salty or more intense by adjusting the amount of Turkish Pepper candies (which are salty) and the licorice powder (which is just... pure unsalt, unsweet licorice). For a batch of custard using 8dl liquid (milk and heavy cream) I used about 10 candies. I don't usual measure... so this is guessing, about 3-4 Tbsps of the licorice powder. I could have gone more salty, but my mom was next to me saying, "that is a lot of salty candies..." So, I got her hint. :) This ice cream is lovely!

Thanks for the Welcome!

Edited by Carro- atyoursenses.com (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to post this. Not from Mexican websites...but then lime and Jalapeno?

Jalapeno and Lime Ice Cream: the story

So, I decided to make the above ice cream and put together two recipes because neither satisfied me completely, and then to top it off I would add some Tequila. Jalapeno Ice Cream from Always Order Dessertand Jalapeno & Lime Ice Cream from Fine Cooking, recipe by Keeley Cochrane. One had too much Jalapeno but featured my usual cornstarch and half & half base and added the molasses which was to bring out the ‘earthy tone’ of the Jalapeno.

Upon adding the molasses, the mixture curdled and turned an ugly brown color. Perhaps Piloncillo would have accomplished the 'earthy’ thing without the strange curdling effect and ugly color. No, I had not put the lime juice in at the point of curdling. Perhaps the combination of chopped Jalapeno and cream and molasses together might lead to curdling??? OK. Added the suggested green coloring but not sparingly enough. OMG, now it is a really ugly green.

Strained out the Jalapeno, cooled the mixture, added the lime juice, zest and Tequila. Into the fridge.

The texture left a lot to be desired. Toasted some finely chopped pecans to disguise the unlovely mouth feel. Pistachios or almonds might have been better but it is Sunday and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Don’t know how I feel about it. Very strange taste. The Jalapeno (1 only with no bits left in as suggested in the recipe) was overwhelming the lime juice and the ice cream tasted like a cold green chile, very green and ‘vegetabley’. So as it was churning, I added extra lime juice and zest. And some extra ground sugar. Now it’s better but there should be a lesson in all of this. :raz: photo: straight out of the ice cream maker before hardening. P7140001.JPG

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Jalapeno and Lime Ice Cream: the story

Don’t know how I feel about it. Very strange taste. The Jalapeno (1 only with no bits left in as suggested in the recipe) was overwhelming the lime juice and the ice cream tasted like a cold green chile, very green and ‘vegetabley’. So as it was churning, I added extra lime juice and zest. And some extra ground sugar.

Update: Good News! We have been eating this green ice cream for one week now and not only am I getting accustomed to the taste, I have grown to really like it! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 8 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2010 at 12:45 PM, Tri2Cook said:

I looked back at your fruit and pepper question. I've never tried it with raspberry but I've done strawberry with pink pepper and I've also done a pickled peach sorbet with pink pepper. I'd suggest making a small batch of the base flavor minus the pepper and tasting bites with various freshly ground peppers over top or worked in and see what works best for you. A little more work but you get to eat ice cream in the name of science! :biggrin:

Tonight I had a batch of pink peppercorn and vanilla that Rose Levy Beranbaum calls Fire and Ice, from The Cake Bible (though I did not follow her recipe for the custard).  Quite good, I thought.  Better than I would have expected.  I wish I'd had some pink food coloring to add.

I was afraid the little bits of pink peppercorn might ruin the texture but it was not so.  I smashed the peppercorns as fine as I could get in my Italian food processor.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou