• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Ice Cream Flavors

OsaKuma

Now those are the star fruit, the lovely shape. I've had only one and found it basically tasteless. That was in Moab UT. Do they taste really good in their native homes?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yes. But I'd imagine that the difference between any force-ripened export fruit and one ripened in the sunshine on the tree is extreme! To wit, I hated papayas before moving down here and being served one that was cut from the tree just 10 minutes before it landed on my plate. There really is no comparison to import fruits.

I buy a mixture of fully ripe (gold) carambola and half-ripe (pale green), which gives me a nice explosion of tropical-influenced green apple flavour. In turn, this marries very well to the sweeter mangoes (Julie, Ambassador, Reina - all of which are currently out of season, unfortunately) and strawberries (always in season).

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Today I made a new ice cream that I found on the Homesick Texan blog. It's called Strawberry ice cream with guajillo chile & lime, but I changed it so much as I made it, that I don't know what to say.

It's strawberries and Guajillo chile and Lime but the quantities are altered, and I added Ancho and Chipotle to the mix, upped the lime juice, changed the brown sugar to Panela, and mixed half of the macerated strawberries straight into the base mixture. I also used regular salt...what could be the purpose of using 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt rather than just regular salt? and also cooked it although it is supposed to be a non-cooked ice cream. I guess that otherwise, it's the same recipe. :raz: Oops. Forgot to add that the strawberries were so poor that I added some homemade strawberry jam just to beef up the strawberry flavor.

The end result is pretty good.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Kosher salt is not iodized, which means it doesn't cause cloudiness in the recipe or introduce off flavours. It's also coarser in grain. Other than that? It's salt.

Right. But we are talking 1/4 of a teaspoon in something which is opaque and pink. And has hot chile powder in it...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yeah, well. I generally only keep Kosher salt for salting down meats prior to marinading and for pickling (where cloudiness and off-flavours are an issue). I can't see it making much difference in a chili-flavoured ice cream.

(PS - Chili = hot peppers, Chile = southern Andean nation. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Yeah, well. I generally only keep Kosher salt for salting down meats prior to marinading and for pickling (where cloudiness and off-flavours are an issue). I can't see it making much difference in a chili-flavoured ice cream.

(PS - Chili = hot peppers, Chile = southern Andean nation. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.)

I do have kosher salt...I just didn't see the point of using it in this recipe. And as I review the recipe this morning, I don't think it's one I'll make again.

As for the "Chili pepper (from Nahuatl chilli, chilli pepper, chilli, chillie, chili, and chile)" issue: the jury will always be out. :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I do have kosher salt...I just didn't see the point of using it in this recipe. And as I review the recipe this morning, I don't think it's one I'll make again.

Sometimes things just have to percolate for a while. Tried the ice cream for supper tonight and it's truly delicious. I know I will make it again. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ive made Smoke Peach Ice Cream before for a competition and it was really good, you have to use liquid smoke or else it becomes to hard to control the smoke level. I also recently saw an ice cream shop in Newport, RI that served black liquorice ice cream, but i dont know how i feel about that.

Edited by Eman57 (log)

Sweet tomato icecream with bits of candied tomato or tomato jam swirl.

Now that I've made sweet tomato jam, I might well try this. Last week I also made Tomatillo/Lime jam. This appeals to me even more as an ice cream flavor. The jam has bits of lime peel in it.

Have you made the tomato ice cream? And did everyone like it? Or just you?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I haven made it. I made a bit of tomato jam, and the family liked it as long as they didnt know what it was, then old habit kicked in and it became 'ew'.

Gonna try again for the child, who is remarkably free of the expectations, and who keeps seeing tomato jam in the littlehouseontheprairie books.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

for my friends bday they get to choose the ice cream flavor they want and i make it. last week i made chocolate mint with blueberry marshmallows walnuts and graham cracker.

i enjoy trying to make crazy flavors and my friends enjoy eating it.

for my friends bday they get to choose the ice cream flavor they want and i make it. last week i made chocolate mint with blueberry marshmallows walnuts and graham cracker.

That is an excellent idea. Making birthday ice creams, I mean. I reserve judgement on the flavor mentioned above until I can taste some.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I always thought a chili pepper ice cream would be interesting. I think habanero rather than jalapeno. I did actually find one on a Google search from somewhere in Singapore I think.

Maybe a lime/chili pepper gelato?

Link to nasty ice cream flavors (including cili pepper/tomato!)

http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/07/18-unusual-ice-cream-flavors-from-around-the-world/

Edited by BacchusHawaii (log)

That is an excellent idea. Making birthday ice creams, I mean. I reserve judgement on the flavor mentioned above until I can taste some.

i deliver :raz:

i tried making a creamsicle sherbet with hot sauce. i dont think that one worked out to well. i pretty much made it because i named it creamsizzle.

Gotta say that this ice cream thread is incredible. I have ice creams ahead to make for weeks...nay, months...thanks to us all!!!! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had marron (chestnut) ice cream when I was in Montreal last week, cup shared by chocolate noir (dark chocolate) and it was great. But I think it is more of a "fall" flavor. Think about it for Thanksgiving.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 4 weeks later...

New ice cream made: Jalapeno & Lime Ice Cream, recipe by Keeley Cochrane.

Changed it to a certain extent. Used Piloncillo instead of white sugar and used my usual cornstarch base. Otherwise it was the Cochrane recipe.

OK. Brown sugar is sweeter than white sugar, so it should have been sweeter than the original recipe. Now I do NOT have a sweet tooth, but even I found it lacking in sweetness which was not compensated for by anything else in the mixture. Of course, DH found it not sweet enough. It was too late for reconfigure the base as it was then in the ice cream maker, so after some hurried cogitation and discussion with my life partner, DH, we agreed that I should add some maple syrup. It worked fine.

The jury is still out about the finished product and its taste. It's good...but it's not good enough. Which may be my doing...or may be the recipe itself. Any wise comments gratefully received.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking. I didn't find any other useful ice cream recipes with jalapeno and lime in them online.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Short discussion with DH. The Jalapeno-Lime Ice Cream went into the sink. That bad.

Made some Nougat Ice Cream today. Delicious. My name for it. It's basically a cornstarch-based vanilla ice cream with all kinds of nougaty inclusions at the end. And I guess it could be called my own recipe now because it has nothing in common with the original which called for ricotta.

One of my inclusions is two-year soaked in brandy and rum chopped fruit which was originally slated for a Caribbean Black Cake which never got made. It has been used in a lot of other desserts. Yum :wub:

I'm thinking about adding one egg to my cornstarch base.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.