• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Ice Cream Flavors

OsaKuma

Made the Italian Ice Cream...sort of...that I asked about several messages ago. Some changes...what else is new? Used dried cranberries instead of maraschino cherries. Used cashews instead of pistachios. And made the entire thing on a cornstarch base instead of ricotta. And churned it in my Cuisinart instead of simply pouring it into a loaf pan. Hey! We live at least 35 minutes from everything and you work with what you have.

Well, it was scrumptious anyway. :wub: Served it at a lunch to us and our South African guests. And it was gone in a New York minute.

NOW, I have all the proper ingredients and I am going to make it strictly according to the recipe.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 8 months later...

A young friend told me she loves Strawberry & Pepper Ice Cream. I think she bought it in Australia.

I thought I would like to try Raspberry & Pepper Ice Cream. However, I can't find any fruit AND pepper ice creams anywhere so far. Except DL's Orange-Szechwan Pepper Ice cream. I don't think oranges translate to raspberries too well. I could just try to figure it out...more or less a raspberry ice cream with the addition of pepper infusing the cream.

Has anyone tried a fruit & pepper ice cream? Seen a recipe for one? Eaten one?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Anyone got a good recipe for rhubarb ice cream - I like to ad liqueurs to my ice cream to make them ‘soft scoop’ from the freezer - any ideas?

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

I made a pineapple sambal ice cream this week and after sharing 2 quarts throughout the day, we decided it need lime and chopped pretzels, wow, I was right... I also have done strawberry green pepper corn and may do a cinnamon orange rooibos tea this week... I love summer!

Edited by Mr. Delicious (log)

I made a pineapple sambal ice cream this week and after sharing 2 quarts throughout the day, we decided it need lime and chopped pretzels, wow, I was right... I also have done strawberry green pepper corn and may do a cinnamon orange rooibos tea this week... I love summer!

Could you please tell me a bit about what's in pineapple sambal. I know pineapple and I know sambal oelek in a jar. Do you make the sambal or buy it ready-made? Did you make up the recipe basically?

I would love to see the recipe if you are into sharing it. Probably won't make it in my household but it does stir the curiosity.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

JP Licks in Boston has an Oatmeal Cookie flavored frozen yogurt that seems rather interesting. I think I can replicate the flavor by taking several packages of either brown sugar or spice flavored instant oatmeal from Trader Joes, pulverize it in the food pro, and then add it to a fro yo base.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

JP Licks in Boston has an Oatmeal Cookie flavored frozen yogurt that seems rather interesting. I think I can replicate the flavor by taking several packages of either brown sugar or spice flavored instant oatmeal from Trader Joes, pulverize it in the food pro, and then add it to a fro yo base.

Dan

With no offense intended, if you can replicate it by doing that, I don't think I want to try it. That doesn't sound particularly tasty to me. I think I'd begin by soaking some flavorful, maybe slightly over-baked or briefly toasted, crumbled oatmeal cookies in part of the base liquid. Then I'd puree it, sieve it and go from there. Maybe boost some of the key and/or favorite flavor notes in the mix to compensate for eating it frozen. A packet of instant oatmeal just doesn't taste like an oatmeal cookie (to me anyway).

Disclaimer: I've never tried your idea with the instant oatmeal so if you do and it's good report back and let us know. I'm always happy to be wrong about things I think won't work too well.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dan

With no offense intended, if you can replicate it by doing that, I don't think I want to try it. That doesn't sound particularly tasty to me. I think I'd begin by soaking some flavorful, maybe slightly over-baked or briefly toasted, crumbled oatmeal cookies in part of the base liquid. Then I'd puree it, sieve it and go from there. Maybe boost some of the key and/or favorite flavor notes in the mix to compensate for eating it frozen. A packet of instant oatmeal just doesn't taste like an oatmeal cookie (to me anyway).

Disclaimer: I've never tried your idea with the instant oatmeal so if you do and it's good report back and let us know. I'm always happy to be wrong about things I think won't work too well.

No offense taken. The flavor does not have chunks of anything. Instead, it has a slightly grainy texture from ground oats. The flavor to me is of oatmeal cookies with a light spice finish. If I was to use cookies, I would probably place them in the food pro and pulverize them instead of the oatmeal.

Just to clarify, I was going to add the oatmeal before the freezing process to allow the oats to soak up some of the liquid.

Dan

We had recently in a restaurant as part of a tasting menu a white chocolate-basil ice cream which was one of the best ice creams we had in the last several months. First you tasted the white chocolate and then after a few seconds a strong basil flavor took over and after some additional seconds both flavor melted together to give a great flavor combination.

I mixed up David Lebovitz'z Coconut-Saffron ice cream yesterday, and am going to churn it this evening. I had to alter the recipe a bit, so I'm wondering how hard it will freeze - instead of 1 cup coconut milk and 2/3 cup cream I used 2/3 cup half & half & one full can coconut milk (adjusted sugar and saffron to this volume). The base tastes delicious and should be a nice end to my planned dinner of salmon curry and gingered peas.

Quick Coconut Saffron Ice Cream

Blue Cheese walnut ice cream, anyone? What blue would you use?

Edited by DanM (log)

I mixed up David Lebovitz'z Coconut-Saffron ice cream yesterday, and am going to churn it this evening. I had to alter the recipe a bit, so I'm wondering how hard it will freeze - instead of 1 cup coconut milk and 2/3 cup cream I used 2/3 cup half & half & one full can coconut milk (adjusted sugar and saffron to this volume). The base tastes delicious and should be a nice end to my planned dinner of salmon curry and gingered peas.

Quick Coconut Saffron Ice Cream

Sorry. No answer here to this problem but I am interested to know what your end result will be.

I know that some add a dollop of liquor/liqueur to an ice cream base to help retard the crystallization process, and I always add a pinch of salt and replace a large dollop of the sugar with corn syrup...and am STILL going to try invert sugar.

Too late for you to do the corn syrup trick and it would alter your ice cream substantially to add booze.

You don't say how large your can of coconut milk is.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Cancun - Merida 2009 157 - Copy.JPGIce cream in Cancun Mexico.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Darienne, it seems to be freezing fairly hard - after just two hours in the freezer it was pretty solid - usually it is still soft-serve at that point. But the flavor is really good - very coconutty, not too sweet, and the saffron is prominent, but not over-whelming. Definitely delicious.

Here is a typical list of ice cream flovors in Chinatown ice cream stores:

dcarch

-----------------------------

Regular Flavors

Almond Cookie

Avocado**

Black Sesame

Chocolate Carmel Pecan **

Chocolate Pandan

Coconut

Durian

Ginger

Green Tea

Lychee (Chinese Fruit)

Mango

Pandan

Passion Fruit **

Peanut Butter and Jelly (New)**

Red Bean (Dessert Bean)

Strawberry Shortcake *

Taro (Potato-like)

Wild Blueberry (New)

Zen Butter (New)

Sorbet

Blueberry

Lemon

Lime*

Longan

Lychee

Mango-Papaya

Pineapple

Pina Colada

Strawberry

Strawberry Colada*

Tangerine

Tropical Fruit

Watermelon

Exotic Flavors

Banana

Blueberry Cheesecake *

Butter Pecan

Cherry Pistachio

Cherry Vanilla

Chips and Chocolate *

Chocolate

Chocolate Chip

Coconut Fudge

Coffee

Coffee Brandy *

Mint Chip

Mocha Chip

Oreo Cookie

Peach

Pineapple

Pistachio

Pumpkin Pie

Rocky Road

Rum Raisin

Strawberry

Strawberry cheesecake

Vanilla

Vanilla Fudge

Wasabi *

Edited by dcarch (log)

I came up with a flavor this winter that was about coaxing as many flavors as I could out of sugar. Emphasis was dark sugars, so the flavor ingredients were dark muscovado sugar, dark caramel, and chestnut honey. I really liked it. Part of the intrigue is that the blended flavors are both strange and familiar. I'd be surprised if anyone who tasted it blind would identify them.

Notes from the underbelly

Some recent ice cream flavors I've been doing:

Jalapeno

Cornbread

Horchata

Thyme

Avocado

Beet

Pickled Rhubarb

Olive Oil

Fromage Blanc

Creme Fraiche

- Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

This ice cream thread is ALIVE! :smile:

* Sadly no one has tackled my question about combining a fruit and pepper in an ice cream. I'll just muddle along.

* Such interesting flavors are available now. jmahl: never even tasted a mamey. Never even seen one in a local store although Longo's a couple of weeks ago had 3 fruits I had never tasted.

*Dcarch: what are the asterisks on some flavors in your post?

* paulraphael: you are a master for sure.

* ChefJohnny: I am overwhelmed. Need to try just regular Horchata before making ice cream with it.

*LizD: so was the ice cream hard enough or too hard or what? And why if you know or suspect?

Sorry for the endless questions. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This ice cream thread is ALIVE! :smile:

* Sadly no one has tackled my question about combining a fruit and pepper in an ice cream. I'll just muddle along.

I looked back at your fruit and pepper question. I've never tried it with raspberry but I've done strawberry with pink pepper and I've also done a pickled peach sorbet with pink pepper. I'd suggest making a small batch of the base flavor minus the pepper and tasting bites with various freshly ground peppers over top or worked in and see what works best for you. A little more work but you get to eat ice cream in the name of science! :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Blue Cheese walnut ice cream, anyone? What blue would you use?

I've done the cabrales ice cream from Francisco Migoya's Frozen Desserts. I liked it a lot... but to be honest, I haven't found a flavor in the book that I haven't liked. Still slowly working my way through it when I have time.

I looked back at your fruit and pepper question. I've never tried it with raspberry but I've done strawberry with pink pepper and I've also done a pickled peach sorbet with pink pepper. I'd suggest making a small batch of the base flavor minus the pepper and tasting bites with various freshly ground peppers over top or worked in and see what works best for you. A little more work but you get to eat ice cream in the name of science! :biggrin:

Thanks for the encouragement. All in the name of science.

In other words, just make the regular ice cream and add the pepper bit by bit. That's rather than infusing the pepper into the cream and later straining. OK. I can do that. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.