• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Ice Cream Flavors

OsaKuma

The end of warm summertime is approaching, and I'm looking for tasty out-of-the-ordinary ice cream, sorbet, and gelato recipes to make while it is still ice cream-eating weather (not that it isn't always the perfect time to eat ice cream). I've been making the regulars (vanilla, chocolate, peach, and mint) and even a lavender-honey flavor, and would welcome new ideas, please.

Thanks!

corn ice cream served with caramel corn

cucumber sorbet with mint or lime (or both)

tomato balsamic sorbet

molasses ice cream

guinness stout ice cream

I find that ice cream is one of those things that you can out just about anything in, and people will still at least try it, because it is still ice cream. Salmon ice cream with candied salmon skin and ikura, foie gras ice cream with pickled kumquats and brioche.

Ginger ice cream with crystallized ginger is nice.

Basil ice cream or sherbet is wonderful (here's my version--1 #10 can sweetened condensed milk; one gallon water; vanilla; salt to taste, bunch of basil: Heat water, whisk thoroughly into condensed milk, vanilla and salt. While warm, pour over large bunch of washed basil. Steep overnight, strain, pushing on the solids; spin in ice cream maker. Heaven)

Dulce de leche is nice--stir in a ribbon of DdeD to rich vanilla or caramel ic

Speaking of which, use 2X sugar that your base vanilla recipe calls for, take it to a dark caramel and proceed with recipe (pour in dairy, temper all into eggs, etc). Add extra salt--it will need it. Pour this base over some semi-sweet chocolate, and you'll have the richest, most decadent chocolate-caramel ic ever.

Jenni

Pastry Methods and Techniques

Pastry Chef Online

"We're all home cooks when we're cooking at home."

I've made strawberry basil truffles. I'm sure that adding strawberry to that basil ice cream would also be delightful.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I like making watermelon sorbet.

I recently made a lemon sorbet using the 'spent' lemons that my wife and daughter had used to make lemonade. Just steeped the juiced lemon carcasses in some water, strained, added sugar then froze.

I also like to make a stout ice cream using my homebrewed stout, but any commercial stout or porter will work.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I've made strawberry basil truffles.  I'm sure that adding strawberry to that basil ice cream would also be delightful.

Theresa :biggrin:

I haven't tried doing the ice cream but I've done a strawberry-basil sorbet that I served with a balsamic caramel and was very happy with the results. I'll have to try it as an ice cream sometime.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sweet tea with lemon and mint

blackberry mint

black pepper and strawberries that have been macerated in a red wine, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice

:wub:

Edited by tafkap4d (log)
Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

I made a Vietnamese coffee granita the other day. It tasted so good, I wished I had an ice cream maker to experiment with making an ice cream out of it. Trung Nguyen coffee and condensed milk - if you can get them, I urge you to try it.

Howdy :::::

All summer I've been trying to get Olive Oil gelato/ice cream right. Some examples:

http://desertcandy.blogspot.com/2007/08/da...-ice-cream.html

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17416

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2004/12/ohhhhhh_olive_o.html

(pic at bottom --- same place I first had it!)

Mario Batali's recipe is pretty good, except I don't the flavor that subtle, even if using cold pressed, really cloudy and fruity oil. Some times you have to drizzle a bit on top when serving... and a little honey doesn't hurt, too.

I also love-love-love sea-buckthorn sorbet, but those berries aren't probably easily available in the US..

They're not easily (or not-so-easily) available in Canada either (at least not where I live or online). After seeing your post on that sorbet back when you first shared it here I was curious and went on a mission to find them or even a packaged puree or juice. I still haven't found them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Rosemary ice cream, topped with a reduced Balsamic vinegar syrup, is divine!  :wub:

I made Vanilla-Honey ice cream and then infused the custard with lavender. It was excellent with a nice balance, and it would be fun to try more herb flavored ice cream. Thanks for your idea!

Hi,

I like pumpkin/squash or pumpkin pie ice cream in the fall. The proper texture requires juicing a very fresh squash and reducing the juice to concentrate the flavor and sweetness.

Use this in a creme anglaise base and you have your ice cream.

You may use pumpkin pie spice or ginger or some heat to adjust the flavor profile.

Tim

I did this one back during the summer but it may be a little more unusual than you have in mind...

gallery_53467_5170_196214.jpg

...it's Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato Ice Cream.

This one...

gallery_53467_5170_67780.jpg

...is Cherry Pit Ice Cream. I didn't come up with the recipe but it's really good.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

I've had these flavors in sorbets and gelatos but I don't see why they wouldn't work as traditional ice-creams.

Blackberry/Cabernet Sauvignon

Apricot/tarragon

Spiced apple cider (there might've been some type of thyme with this one)

Strawberry/black pepper/Cabernet S.

Chocolate/Pinot Noir

Lavender/Champagne/honey

I bought most of these years ago in Portland Oregon at Pastaworks on Hawthorne Blvd. or at City Market in N.W. Portland. The different flavors really opened my eyes to appreciating herbs and wines in a whole new way. Super interesting *and* delicious.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 11 months later...

Just found this interesting recipe for ice cream in a library book, The Italian Cookbook by Fiona Biggs: Ricotta Ice Cream.

The photo looks at first glance like Montelimar Nougat :wub: , and the ingredient list is bang on with nuts and fruit peels, etc. The recipe calls for the usual ingredients of an egg-based ice cream: sugar, egg yolks, vanilla,...but the base is ricotta cheese. The ricotta is not creamed nor whipped, just stirred in. And the mixture is simply poured into a loaf pan.

My initial responses are to a) replace the eggs & cheese by whipped cream, pour into a loaf pan and freeze, decant and cover with a chocolate ganache for a bang-up dessert or b) replace the eggs and cheese by the Philadelphia style base and pour it into the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, etc., or c) make the recipe as provided, but cream the ricotta. possible d) play it as it lays.

The uncreamed, etc, ricotta cheese part does not appeal to me at first glance. Has anyone made this or a similar ice cream?

Any responses to any of this, please? And thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There've been murmurs from Shola at Studiokitchen about mozzarella ice cream.

David Lebovitz had this post today about Humphrey Slocombe in SF and mentions a slew of intriguing flavors:

• Fumé (smoked)
  • Chocolate passion fruit
  • cinnamon brittle
  • Boccalone proscuitto
  • Ancho coffee
  • Jesus juice sorbet
  • Balsamic caramel
  • Secret breakfast

I don't know if you've ever tried garlic ice cream, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had just a taste of it years ago at the Gilroy Garlic festival, first thing I tried, and it ruined the whole rest of the day. Even the things that *should* have had garlic in them tasted terrible after that ice cream. Maybe if I'd saved it until last? Don't think so. :hmmm: