• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland rec's for local food and wine

We finally have 4 days and nights to visit Portland in October (please let the weather be nice!) and are specifically there to hike, eat and drink wine. I'm especially interested in local food products and wine and want to be steered towards places that might focus on these. We're especially interested in the wine scene in general.

We'll definitely get to both the Thursday and Saturday farmer's market and Liner and Elson. Other ideas culled from various sources are:

Apizza Scholls

Le Pigeon

Pix Patisserie

clarklewis

Higgins

Andina (not a wine place, but looks intriguing)

Pok Pok

Park Kitchen

BREAKFAST places:

Ken's Artisan

Pearl Bakery

Genie's

Mother's

We'll stay downtown-ish somewhere between the river and Washington Park so a nearby breakfast spot with well-made coffee would be a plus. And we're from Chicago with many good Thai places, but maybe Pok Pok might not be necessary.

Feel free to steer me toward or away from choices given that criteria. I've already bookmarked extra MSG's website (thanks!). Thoughts?

Hi, keep Andina on your list, we dined there a couple of weeks ago, it was excellent! You may want to add the Bijou Cafe to your breakfast list, it is in downtown Portland. I had the Oyster Hash there that was really yummy. If you want an over-the-top dining experience in Portland, go to Lucier down by the waterfront. We loved our experience here, enjoy your dining in Portland! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'd recommend these, too....

Nostrana

Toro Bravo

Clyde Common

Lovely Hula Hands

and try to get to the Portland Farmers Market if you're here on a Saturday.

Jim

Jim -- what was the great bread they served at Clark-Lewis? I seem to recall that their home bakery was near where we stayed uphill from the Pearl District, near the ballpark. Also, if you're still selling oil you would be doing Michael a favor by telling him how to get hold of some.

I think the farmer's market is a must, as well.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The bread is from Ken's Artisan Bakery, NW 21st and Flanders. And I'll be at the farmers market Oct 11 with oil and salt, but Michael (or anyone else) who wants some can email me at

jdixon@realgoodfood.com

I usually open for sales at my "warehouse" a couple of hours every week, too.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food