• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Diet" Bearnaise sauce recipe anyone

JMT

Does anyone have any recipe of something that tastes like real Bearnaise but with less/no butter? I really like Bearnaise sauce and steak but I am aiming to loose a few kgs and therefore sauces with a bunch of butter/eggyolks or lots of cream etc will have to go for a while.

If no one has any I guess I'll just have to experiment a bit.

I just went to www.cookinglight.com and searched the recipe database for 'bearnaise'. It produced two hits; one was a beef and potato salad with bearnaise sauce, and the other was just a recipe for bearnaise sauce. The one person who reviewed it didn't like it at all, but I would suggest you take a look at it and see what you think. The reviews on the Cooking Light website are often right on target, but sometimes are a reflection of the reviewer's cooking skills and quality of ingredients. It would be a starting point, anyway.

Do let us know if you come up with something really good!

I would aim for making it intensely flavored, with very high quality butter. Then just use half as much of it.

Notice that the French were all skinny before mcdonald's showed up.

Beat me to it - that's exactly what I was going to say, best way to make something half fat is to have half as much!

If you really want the luxurious taste of a proper bearnaise, then I can't see how to do a low fat version, but if you just fancy a sauce with the flavour of tarragon you could probably do something by deglazing the pan and adding some low fat creme fraiche and some tarragon.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I have found Ming Tsai knows his French food, and he made something similar on one of this shows... perhaps try converting this hollandaise to a bearnaise ?

http://www.ming.com/simplyming/showrecipes.../Holandaise.htm

Interesting. I'm going to have to try this on eggs benedict soon, though I'm a little afraid. If you only use 1/4 cup of the sauce per serving, it's only about 2 WW points! Still a lot if you factor in the egg, ham, and English muffin, but not so bad if you compare it to real hollandaise.

That reminds me of the joke

Q:What has less calories then a sandwich?

A:A half a sandwich..

I dont know if it would be worth it to do a diet bernaise sauce.. Just skip it all together and have potatoes tossed in tarragon vinegar or just tarragon something. But really, use bernaise and use half the amount you normally would.

Edited by Daniel (log)