• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A food & etiquette quiz

Dave Hatfield

Here's a link to a quiz that's sort of fun even though some of the questions are a bit silly.

Have a go, you've nothing to lose.

Edit: Sorry multiple post by mistake & don't know how to delete.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

10 out of 11... (Got the China answer wrong) But to be fair, if there weren't any choices, I wouldn't have a clue, so I'm not necessarily "ready to travel!" :smile:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Wonderful! :cool: I only got 5 out of 11, but I learned a lot :laugh:

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I rushed through it and got a 5 out of 11, so maybe I could have thought through some answers more and gotten a few more right.

The first one, the one about China threw me off though. My mom always told me that she was taught to finish every tiny grain of rice because your future husband would come with one pockmark per grain you left stuck messily to the bowl. What's going on? Is this uncommon thinking? I thought leaving food was just if you were a guest... :huh:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

The first one, the one about China threw me off though. My mom always told me that she was taught to finish every tiny grain of rice because your future husband would come with one pockmark per grain you left stuck messily to the bowl. What's going on? Is this uncommon thinking? I thought leaving food was just if you were a guest...  :huh:

I think you're right, and the quiz was wrong on this one. Children are expected to finish their rice; every kid in China been told that "every grain of rice is a pimple on your future husband/wife" story. The "leave a little bit" thing is for guests, and applies over most of Asia. I learned this at a long business lunch in Korea decades ago where I made the mistake of taking the last piece of bulgokee thinking I was showing how much I enjoyed it, and the host immediately ordered another platter which we had no hope of finishing...

Interesting to find out that the "don't turn the fish over" thing applies in Poland, because there's the exact same custom, for the same supposed reason, in Thailand.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Interesting to find out that the "don't turn the fish over" thing applies in Poland, because there's the exact same custom, for the same supposed reason, in Thailand.

Apparently it has also been adopted in some fishing communities in Australia! (I've never been-- but I did see it on television.) I guess to be safe, you really just shouldn't flip a fish anywhere?

I'm not the superstitious type, so I feel rather silly having to de-spine the fish when I just really want to flip it.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

That left-handed, right-handed fork question was a bit off -- it is considered extremely rude indeed to eat with the left hand in the middle east. That's your bathroom hand . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

That left-handed, right-handed fork question was a bit off -- it is considered extremely rude indeed to eat with the left hand in the middle east.  That's your bathroom hand . . .

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I also got the "correct answer" but thought the explanation the quiz gave was wrong. Hmmm.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 4 weeks later...