• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Molds

Darienne

look at Chocolate-Chocolate mold cw1378

It's almost 2 inches in diameter though - hence my question about the size of the PB cups.

I don't have one right in front of me but I'd estimate it's roughly 43mm Ø, possibly up to 50mm Ø but I think that's a bit too large.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

look at Chocolate-Chocolate mold cw1378

It's almost 2 inches in diameter though - hence my question about the size of the PB cups.

I don't have one right in front of me but I'd estimate it's roughly 43mm Ø, possibly up to 50mm Ø but I think that's a bit too large.

cw 1378 is apparently 50mm and 32 grams. I suspect John is correct that it's a bit large, but I'm not positive.

That's the very mold I purchased last year.

Long time since I had a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, but I would say the mold is too small. It holds only 11 grams which isn't much. And it's only 1.18" across. Too small, no question of it.

Kerry Beal told me that it's very hard when you first start buying molds to get a good sense of how large they are. I also bought 1-2023 at the same time, to make little wafers. It's only .16" thick, but I realized after making the first bunch that it was thicker than what I was looking for.

Judging size certainly is tough! The Tomric catalog says I-1378 is 50mm (1.96 ") x 16 mm - assuming that's diameter x depth, it's actually bigger than a Reece's (see next post B-}) but 11g is about half the weight... and the Tomric catalog doesn't give a weight. Arrgh.

Thanks for the tip.

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Can you measure a Reece cup diameter for me and I'll figure out which would be the best mold for you? And if you weigh it too that would be great.

Of course - thanks for the offer. A 'standard' Reese's cup is 50 mm upper diameter, 40 mm bottom diameter, 13 mm depth at the centre - officially it weighs 3/4 oz, or about 20g; of course, that's mostly peanut butter.

Pat

Curiouser and Curiouser.

I'd place a small bet that the Tomric link I posted is to the same Chocolate World mold being offered by Chocolat-Chocolat. It's the same model number and given dimensions, but that Tomic have not listed the weight.

Darienne, are you sure this is the same mold you have that's only 1.18" diameter? That's only about 30mm, 20 less than advertised.

I'm getting confused.

Pat

I'd place a small bet that the Tomric link I posted is to the same Chocolate World mold being offered by Chocolat-Chocolat. It's the same model number and given dimensions, but that Tomic have not listed the weight.

Darienne, are you sure this is the same mold you have that's only 1.18" diameter? That's only about 30mm, 20 less than advertised.

I'm getting confused.

Pat

Because I am in a hurry this morning, I am not going to tease out Kerry's response which for all I know answered your question, but I shall reply to what you asked.

My mold is: Tomric #I-1387 (label number on end of mold), .79" deep x 1.18" diameter. holds .39 oz/ or 11 gms. 24 cavities in the mold. It's quite small, way smaller than a Reese's PB cup. Almost dinky, I'd say. 1.18" = 29.9 mm. You are totally correct on that.

Off to make chocolate-dipped, caramel-coated pretzel sticks until we run out of pretzels or energy.

Good luck! :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Because I am in a hurry this morning, I am not going to tease out Kerry's response which for all I know answered your question, but I shall reply to what you asked.

My mold is: Tomric #I-1387 (label number on end of mold), .79" deep x 1.18" diameter. holds .39 oz/ or 11 gms. 24 cavities in the mold. It's quite small, way smaller than a Reese's PB cup. Almost dinky, I'd say. 1.18" = 29.9 mm. You are totally correct on that.

Thanks for sticking with and taking the time to verify. It was a digit transposition - I-1387 is pretty small, I-1378 is the one similar to a standard Reece's cup. I think these are Chocolate World numbers - they are consistent between Chocolat-Chocolat and Tomric web sites.

I've taken Kerry's fundamental advice to heart, too - it is easy to mislead oneself as to what the mold one is ordering will look like in person. I suspect I'll get better as I order more, but as a newcomer to the market I wish I were seeing photos of both mold and product with a familiar object for scale on seller's web sites.

But for now, I've found my peanut butter and mallow cup mold, and I thank you all for your help!

Pat

• 6 years later...

Dredging this one up because based on a quick search, it seemed the most appropriate place for my question. Does anybody know if the mold pictured below is still available anywhere? It used to be available on Chocolat-Chocolat, I had it bookmarked, but it disappeared from the site quite a while back. I went through every mold on the site (because I couldn't remember the number or maker and, like a dummy, deleted the bookmark when it was no longer valid), it's definitely not there. I'm not 100% sure I still want it, can't remember the size, but that may be irrelevant if it's been discontinued.

mold123_zpskfvatxkw.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Is this the mould do you think? http://www.savourschool.com.au/chocolate-moulds/figures-objects-and-miscellaneous/ma1627-triangular-sloped-sides/product-detail.aspx

They look similar, but I can't tell if it's the same.

If it is, I tracked down this on the Martellato website: http://www.martellatous.com/productinfo/arrow-top-polycarbonate-mold-403-25

(Not available in US, contact them in Italy for direct shipping)

I can't tell if that's it exactly or not... but if not, it's close enough. Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.