• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gellan

Tri2Cook

Le Sanctuaire is awesome but the high acyl gellan has been listed as on backorder for a long time now (I'm not saying it's their fault, they may just be having a tough time getting it in) so I'm wondering if anyone knows another place to get it?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 5 months later...

I have a few questions about Gellan. Le Sanctuaire sells three different types at VERY different prices!

Kelcogel® F Gellan Gum - "Gellan" *EXCLUSIVE* (1 lb.) $65.00

Kelcogel® LT100 Gellan Gum *EXCLUSIVE* (1 lb.) $50.00

Kelcogel® JJ Gellan Gum *EXCLUSIVE * (1 lb.) $35.00

Any input would be appreciated!

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if the gellan from Texturas is the exact same thing as Gellan F or a mix of Gellan F and Gellan LT100. I can buy the Texturas one near my home, so it's easier (and cheaper) to get than online.

The annoying thing is that the Texturas packages do not state what the content is exactly, so it's always a guess what's in them (or is there somewhere info on the content)?

The Texturas Gellan is the one that forms a firmer gel more suitable for films, I use it with a mix of Agar for a wrapping for a cannelloni style rooibos tea mousse wrapped in mango lime and vanilla gellan gum made jelly. can share the recipe for you to try if you like, pictures on my blog also,

hope it helps

I was wondering if the gellan from Texturas is the exact same thing as Gellan F or a mix of Gellan F and Gellan LT100. I can buy the Texturas one near my home, so it's easier (and cheaper) to get than online.

The annoying thing is that the Texturas packages do not state what the content is exactly, so it's always a guess what's in them (or is there somewhere info on the content)?

Thanks, but I asked because I wanted to experiment with the fluid gels from The Big Fat Duck Cookbook, which specifically asks for Gellan F. I don't know if Gellan 'naturally' comes in two different forms or it's exclusive to Kelcogel (from Le Sanctuaire).

Nice dish BTW, would be a good joke to put it on a menu in a restuarant.

DESSERTS

"cannelloni style rooibos tea mousse wrapped in mango lime and vanilla gellan gum made jelly"

:biggrin:

Edited by Jan Stoel (log)

It will definitely make a difference if the recipe uses high acyl (LT100) and you use low acyl (F) or vice versa. Many recipes use a blend of both which is where JJ comes in. I haven't worked with JJ so I don't know what happens when it's subbed in for one of the others. In general, recipes designed around a specific hydocolloid only work properly with that hydocolloid. It's not really like subbing tonka beans for vanilla beans or something. Still, if you don't mind risking some ingredients, it can be fun to play around and see what happens.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Heh, I dont think thats exactly how i will word it, but thanks for your input. maybe 'Rooibos tea custard with mango and lime jelly, dehydrated yoghurt cake, Milk sorbet, Pinenuts and coriander'. but if you can think of something better i would love to know.

Ive always used the low axyl Gellan for fluid gels and its always been Kelcogel thats been on the label. I practiced with water to see what works best and makes good fluid gels or jelly films, or cubes so i didnt waste any ingredients. from there i checked the tables of what works and doesn't work well with the Hydrocolloid on

http://www.hawkinswatts.com/documents/hydr..._properties.pdf and go from there, sadly this table doesnt include gellan but im sure you can find one that does.

Thanks, but I asked because I wanted to experiment with the fluid gels from The Big Fat Duck Cookbook, which specifically asks for Gellan F. I don't know if Gellan 'naturally' comes in two different forms or it's exclusive to Kelcogel (from Le Sanctuaire).

Nice dish BTW, would be a good joke to put it on a menu in a restuarant.

DESSERTS

"cannelloni style rooibos tea mousse wrapped in mango lime and vanilla gellan gum made jelly"

:biggrin:

Edited by stereoboard (log)

Texturas Gellan is Kelcogel F

Edited by hapacooking (log)