• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best DC Restaurants

LPShanet

Looking for a recommendation for a family member visting from NY, who wants to take two friends to a really nice dinner. They'll be a group of three looking for a great place within reasonable cab ride distance of the Convention Center. They're not big fans of spicy food or anything too divey. I think they'd probably also appreciate a civilized experience and moderate noise level. Thanks!

Important note: They are going on a Monday, so please only provide places that are open on Mondays. Thanks.

Edited by LPShanet (log)

Looking for a recommendation for a family member visting from NY, who wants to take two friends to a really nice dinner.  They'll be a group of three looking for a great place within reasonable cab ride distance of the Convention Center.  They're not big fans of spicy food or anything too divey.  I think they'd probably also appreciate a civilized experience and moderate noise level.  Thanks!

Important note:  They are going on a Monday, so please only provide places that are open on Mondays.  Thanks.

You can't go wrong with Jose Andres's Jaleo!

If you wanna hop the Metro to Bethesda, I rather like Red Tomato

If you want a nice change from the standard, I've had some good times at Tony Chang's Mongolian Restaurant (don't have a link)

Now, if you want to hop the Red Line on the Metro to Wheaton, we have The Royal Mile Pub for good English, Irish and Scottish, and Dusit for Thai, and Los Chorros for Salvadoran.

Sincerely,

Dante

Looking for a recommendation for a family member visting from NY, who wants to take two friends to a really nice dinner.  They'll be a group of three looking for a great place within reasonable cab ride distance of the Convention Center.  They're not big fans of spicy food or anything too divey.  I think they'd probably also appreciate a civilized experience and moderate noise level.  Thanks!

Important note:  They are going on a Monday, so please only provide places that are open on Mondays.  Thanks.

You can't go wrong with Jose Andres's Jaleo!

If you wanna hop the Metro to Bethesda, I rather like Red Tomato

If you want a nice change from the standard, I've had some good times at Tony Chang's Mongolian Restaurant (don't have a link)

Now, if you want to hop the Red Line on the Metro to Wheaton, we have The Royal Mile Pub for good English, Irish and Scottish, and Dusit for Thai, and Los Chorros for Salvadoran.

Sincerely,

Dante

Thanks for the reply. Jaleo is a good consideration. Do you prefer it to Minibar?

As for the other stuff, I think I made it pretty clear that the people DON'T want to hop the metro to Bethesda or any other place...thus the subtitle of the posting. Also, Thai and Salvadorean don't exactly fit the bill either, as non-spicy was specified.

I'm looking for the BEST (meaning top/high end/serious) restaurants...not good local dives with value grub.

Anyone else?

I can save them cab fare. Right across the street from the convention center is Corduroy. This gem of a restaurant is arguably one of the best that DC has to offer.

But don't take my word for it, see what the folks here have to say about it.

Tom Sietsema, of the Washington Post recently reviewed Corduroy.

Edited by Beto (log)

I can save them cab fare. Right across the street from the convention center is Corduroy.  This gem of a restaurant is arguably one of the best that DC has to offer.

But don't take my word for it, see what the folks here have to say about it.

Tom Sietsema, of the Washington Post recently reviewed Corduroy.

Thanks, Beto...will check it out!

As for the other stuff, I think I made it pretty clear that the people DON'T want to hop the metro to Bethesda or any other place...thus the subtitle of the posting.  Also, Thai and Salvadorean don't exactly fit the bill either, as non-spicy was specified.

There are plenty of non-spicy options at Thai and Salvadoran places, so both are still within the parameters you set.

None of home-cooked Salvadoran foods I've had have even been remotely spicy, but I guess spice-factor depends on one's frame of reference.

As for the other stuff, I think I made it pretty clear that the people DON'T want to hop the metro to Bethesda or any other place...thus the subtitle of the posting.  Also, Thai and Salvadorean don't exactly fit the bill either, as non-spicy was specified.

There are plenty of non-spicy options at Thai and Salvadoran places, so both are still within the parameters you set.

None of home-cooked Salvadoran foods I've had have even been remotely spicy, but I guess spice-factor depends on one's frame of reference.

I appreciate that, as I often eat both cuisines. However, imagine what it would be like to send a group of older women there who asked for a restaurant recco, and specifically asked to avoid spicy/exotically ethnic cuisines, to just such a place. That wouldn't make me much of a friend...just someone who didn't listen. I won't be there to guide them through the menu, and all it will do is piss them off. Take some perspective here. Rather than my having an argument with them or trying to convince them to go there, why does everyone not just give me one of the MANY top restaurants in DC that happen not to be in those categories. Sheesh!

If someone asked me the same question about NY with the same specs, I'd tell them to go to Jean Georges, or Eleven Madison Park, or Daniel, or any of DOZENS of others of that type rather than fighting with them about trekking out to New Jersey, or going to a hidden random Thai place, or recommending my favorite pupuseria in Brooklyn. Why am I having so much trouble with a basic question here? Only one usable answer so far.

Edited by LPShanet (log)