• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Cake?

doughgirl

I'm planning on making a four layer Italian Cream Cake with a vanilla pastry cream filling and cream cheese frosting. I have a feeling the answer is no but would it be possible to freeze the leftovers of this cake? Or would the pastry cream separate when it was thawed?

This is my husband's favorite cake and I want to make it for his birthday but he's the only one in the family who will eat coconut and I would hate for perfectly good cake to go to waste....

Thanks!

no on the filled and finished cake. The cornstarch and egg in the pastry cream, and the confectioner's sugar in the cream cheese icing don't survive freezing well. Would you consider making little cakes -- one that is his favorite and the rest something the rest of the family would eat? I am thinking the same base cake and pastry cream, but only his would have coconut.

no on the filled and finished cake. The cornstarch and egg in the pastry cream, and the confectioner's sugar in the cream cheese icing don't survive freezing well. Would you consider making little cakes -- one that is his favorite and the rest something the rest of the family would eat? I am thinking the same base cake and pastry cream, but only his would have coconut.

You should look at Bake and Freeze Chocolate Desserts by Elinor Klivans. She explains which types of cakes freeze well.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I don't know about the cream cheese, but about freezing a cake filled with pastry cream, I have had shipped to me cakes with buttercream frosting and a pastry cream filling that have been shipped frozen and they have held up beautifully.

eta: here's a link to the site, but specifically their carrot cake with cream cheese in the usual (I assume) manner which they freeze and ship frozen:

http://www.blackhoundny.com/products2.cfm?ID=39&nav_chooser=

Is there something I'm missing? I've never frozen a cake like this, but it appears Black Hound does.

Edited by devlin (log)

I freeze most of my cakes. I've used those same products and frozen similar concoctions with excellent results.

Now the outside icing of the cake might not fair as well with the change in atmosphere. But it will be fine for your family. Watch for ice crystals and brush them off so they don't spoil your nice icing.