• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candies Lime Wheels?

dvs

Our very own Andiesenji is the queen of candied fruit. Here is her method.

Notice however the warning NOT TO CANDY LIMES. Apparently a nasty colour reaction occurs.

Try it in the microwave, in a pyrex pie plate or baking dish.

a thin layer of thick simple syrup, lay the lime slices on that syrup in a single layer

cover with more syrup and nuke for a minute at a time and allowing it to cool down in between sessions. keep going until the rind is translucent.

It will take a while but you should end up with something with good color and nicely candied.

Carefully transfer them to a wire rack and allow to dry until just tacky then coat them with the coarsest granulated sugar you can find.

(I found some with the label "Florida Crystals" that is much coarser than regular.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Our very own Andiesenji is the queen of candied fruit.  Here is her method.

Notice however the warning NOT TO CANDY LIMES.  Apparently a nasty colour reaction occurs.

What incredible timing this thread is. We are soon off for an extended period away from home and I have decided while away to concentrate on making those things which a) I have never made and b) folks often buy pre-made...like candied fruit, Gianduja, Marzipan, etc...

Now here in one fell swoop is the answer to a maiden's prayers. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.