• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicious Whisky and a Good Pub

I'm going to Edinburgh next week for four days and already got reservations at Kitchin (and Wedgwood...). But, would very much like to taste some very good whisky - where's that possibe? :raz:

If you know of a good pub I'd like to try that as well.

Thanks in advance

Everybody should have a change of dining at Noma - at least once in their life.

My blog

There is no shortage of good whisky in Edinburgh. A pub which has a large selection and is centrally located is the Bow Bar http://www.bowbar.com/

If you are looking to buy some whisky to take hom I recommend Cadenheads whisky shop which has very knowledgeable staff and an amazing range.

The single best place for whisky in Edinburgh is the Scottish Malt Whisky Society http://www.smws.co.uk/ but unfortunately you have to be a member to get in - but it might be worth giving therm a call and explaining that you are an overseas visitor - it might be that they would allow you to visit during a quieter time of day. Alternatively, do you have any friends in Edinburgh who might be members and who could get you in?

Plenty of good pubs too, the Cafe Royal (near Waverley station) has a wonderful round bar and old tiled murals on the walls and is worth a look (good beers too).

If the weather is good then I would recommend a walk to the top of Arthur's Seat and a detour back to Duddingston and the cosy Sheep Heid inn (call a taxi to take you back as it is a long walk after a few beers).

I would recommend that you buy or borrow the guidebook "Scotland the Best" by Peter Irvine as it's recommendations tend to be very reliable and it is very easy to use - ie it has section headings like "best late night food" and "best fish & chips" as well as more standard recommendations

Have a great time

Get yourself to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society - either their Queen Street place or if you are down in Leith try their lovely place at the Vaults. They bottle single cask, cask strength stuff and have a massive range. The staff are usually very helpful and knowledgable. You may need to be a member to get in, but if you tell them you'd like to pop in to sample with a view to joining they'll probably let you in. And, believe me, once you've tasted the whisky you will want to join - it's something like £70 a year and they have a place in London if you're ever down there.

SMWS website

I've tended to be disappointed by pubs in Scotland - I've always felt it was a bit telling that the Good Pub Guide's chapter on Scotland is roughly the same size as its chapter on Cumbria. However, there are a few decent old-school pubs, which also have a reasonable range of whiskies - perhaps try the Cumberland Bar on Cumberland Street, The Cafe Royal on West Register St (great interior here) or some of the pubs down Stockbridge (perhaps The Baillie). In the Old Town the Bow Bar on Victoria Street has decent beers as well.

PS

Edinburgh

Second the Cafe Royal. I also like The Shore and the King's Wark in Leith.

The Canny Man's Bar in Morningside--a bit far out of the centre of town, but eminently reachable by a 5, 11, 16 or 23 bus or a taxi (reachable, that is, if you don't mind sitting staring at road works for half an hour or being snarled at and knocked about by Lothian Buses bus drivers)--has a vast array of whiskies and a very good wine list. It also has a quite unique and (I'd say) beautiful interior, if you can get past the three-feet layer of stoor on everything. I've been very uncomplimentary about this place on this forum before--it is exceedingly cliquey and the staff can range from pleasant to asking-patrons-to-leave-for-no-good-reason rude--but age has probably mellowed me a bit. It is one of a kind and is perhaps as good an embodiment of the Edinburgh temperament as you're likely to find!

Edited by spanky (log)

not a pub and not whisky related but you should really check out bramble, a tiny speak-easy style cocktail bar while you are there - 16a queen street.

Kitchin was great - you will have a brilliant time.

Edited by nikkib (log)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Wonderful! Thanks so much for all these lovely tips. And if I won't make it to the SMWS at least they provide a fun an informative introduction to tasting simgle malts. I think I forgot to tell that I'm almost as new to Whisky as to Scotland - which will be my first visit.

(Have to reconsider wedgwood now. Why did I pick that place anyway???;-)

My blog

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back in CPH, I'd like to thank you guys for all your recommandations and advice.

I didn't make it to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society but I did go on the touristy tour at the Whisky Tasting Experience. That was alright and very informative. I was very happy to get an oppotunity to try 8 different types (the four regions, and blend, single, vatted malt and grain whisky) at the bar in the basement. There's a map of Scotland with little red lights showing the location of each of the single malts destilleries.

Went to The Bow Bar a couple of times - preferable in daytime because of the fluorescent tubes creating a not so cosy light when it's dark outside. Impressive selection offering casks too. Loved the tiny narrow tables.

Perhaps it a good thing I don't live in Scotland.

Went twice to Cafe Royal and sadly found shell pieces or sand in them both times. The mussels, however, were the best I got in Edinburgh and the service sweetly unique and conscientious.

And Fishers is good too and the oysters very good.

Kitchen was fabulous. :biggrin:

Certainly hope to be back again sometime!

Thanks

Trine

Edited by good food (log)

My blog