• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michael Angelo's, Blfd Ave, Newark

DonnaMarieNJ

• 2 weeks later...

Just your typical North Jersey "red sauce joint" nothing to rave about. You would probably be better served by a trip into Montclair and hitting Osteria Del Giotto (on Midland Ave just off Bloomfield Ave.).

They prepare good staright ahead Italian food that uses high quality seasonal ingredients when possible and treats them with respect. The last time I checked the prices weren't all that exorbitant either and would only be paying slightly more and avoiding mediocrity.

However, if you are truly in the mood for a place that works in the Italian-American Red Sauce genre I hear that La Sicilia on Belleville Ave. is creating some buzz. I have never been there, so I cannot vouch for the reports directly.