• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McD's Double Cheeseburgers

potsticker

Yesterday, in a fit of rush and serious junk food craving, I hit a McD's for a quick bite to eat. This happens about every month or so, and as the boring and uncreative person that I am, I get the same thing every time I walk in: 2 double cheeseburgers.

This time, something was different. I felt it in the air. I stepped up to the cold plastic counter and without the slightest hesitation or thought, I sputtered out, "Two double cheeseburgers to go, please."

The nice girl behind the counter punched in the order and told me the total, and in a swift move, I was already pulling cash out of my wallet.

WAIT. STOP. HOLD UP.

"How much is it again?", I asked. I know how much two double cheeseburgers cost. $2.14. That was definitely not what she said. My look of utter confusion was likely not the first she's received regarding this matter.

"Sir, double cheeseburgers are no longer $1."

I look up at the Dollar Menu, hoping and longing that she was mistaken in her accusations. There seemed to be a glimmer of hope.

"No, look, right there, the first one, for $1!"

"That's a double hamburger. Not cheeseburger."

My eyes uncomfortably strayed to the unfamiliar territory of "regular" menu items. There it was. Double cheeseburger. $1.19. *sob*

I dutifully paid for my food, and as I did, the girl looked at me with a look of despair and muttered, "You know times are tough when McDonald's raises prices."

Ah, so it's finally happened.

I mentioned in this post in another discussion about how McDonald's was looking to revamp their Dollar Menu. It's been a success for them and brings in about 14% of their business (and another recent article stated that it's led to even better overall franchise performance in the last business quarter).

They had painted themselves into a corner by dubbing it a "Dollar Menu" instead of a "Value Menu" (see KFC, et al). It will be interesting to see if removing the Double Cheeseburger from the Dollar Menu will impact the draw of customers to the restaurant.

Edited to add: If you're still looking for a double cheeseburger under a dollar, Wendy's is currently running adds touting their Double Stack Cheeseburger for only 99 cents. MickeyD's suddenly has some competition.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The McDonalds across the street from my work here in San Francisco raised the price of the double cheeseburger a few months ago.

I bought one within the last week or so - maybe ten days - in Ricmond, CA - across the bay from San Francisco.

FWIW, Burger Kings that I've seen in the East Bay have a deal: Two double cheeseburgers for $2.00. The catch is you have to buy two.

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...
The McDonalds across the street from my work here in San Francisco raised the price of the double cheeseburger a few months ago.

I bought one within the last week or so - maybe ten days - in Ricmond, CA - across the bay from San Francisco.

i'm guessing its only san francisco.....was somewhere on the road to redding off of I-5 and stopped at an McD's that still had the double cheeseburger for $1.