• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Jam

blurby

I made a batch of Bittman's tomato jam after picking up some really nice romas at the market on Sunday. The stuff is quite good; spicy though a bit sweeter than I would have probably opted for had I know.

My question is... what do you pair this stuff with? It's fine on a slice of bread but I can't think of a single thing to combine with it.

I, too, found Bittman's jam too sweet but have made another tomato jam recipe in the past and served it with a grilled pork tenderloin.

Bittman's has potential but definitely needs some adjusting to be less sweet.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have had excellent results by combining tomato with apple juice (I make my own with very tart apples, cooked and strained as I would for apple jelly) and a small amount of rocoto pepper.

(Also know as Manzano peppers, the ones with the black seeds - they can be quite hot so I do not use a lot.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had a bag full of tomatoes that I was contemplating making tomato jam with the other week, but then I had the same thought - what would I do with it? So I ended up making tomato soup with them.

It sounds like it would be nice with an omelette; or on the side of a steak frites. Served on toasted baguette with fried onions and melted cheese as a sandwich? Layered on a tuna melt? Slathered on burgers?

Or, if it's really sweet, why not with vanilla ice cream? Tomatoes are a fruit, after all. :biggrin:

I have used it as a kind of glaze for skillet cooked thick-cut pork chops. We seared then painted on the tomato jam and put inot a hot oven till done. We did use some mustard to cut the sweetness.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

It goes well with goat cheese--fill some small tart shells or pastry cases.  Also good on a baked potato!

This was right on! I made a snack of chevre, tomato jam, and red chili on some turkish flatbread. Really good combination! The acidity and funk of the cheese counteracts the sweetness very well.

I've made tomato chutney and homemade catsup and both went well with cheeses, cream cheese, and with any sort of meats. Mix it in to a meatloaf and then pour it on top before baking, it's very good that way.

I used to make this "chili sauce" from my family cookbook and can it. My kids love it. I don't know why they called it chili sauce, since it's closer to chutney.

http://www.maystar.org/Cookbook/Canning.htm#CHILI%20SAUCE

After thinking about this discussion, I decided to prepare a batch.

I came across a mention of this interesting recipe in another (non food-related) forum.

It is slightly different than others I have tried (also contains bourbon).

I cooked it last night, jarred it up and left them overnight.

I opened a jar and tried it on a toasted onion bagel with cream cheese (just a dab of CC) and it is very tasty.

It is not as spicy as my old recipe and I think might be more acceptable to people who don't care for spicy stuff.

It did not set up as firm as some of the others I have made but is perfect for spooning and spreading.

It will go into my "keeper" recipe list.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 years later...