• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar Free/Chocolate for Diabetics

Spring

Can anyone recommend a good sugar free/diabetic chocolate?

Ive tried Belcolade milk and Natra milk and dislike both of them. The Belcolade feels greasy and the Natra hard, both don't taste chocolatey either. (Please forgive the very crude description from an amateur)The Natra white is reasonable.

Elite (local Israeli company) milk and black is actually ok but its rare that it is in good condition ie, doesnt taste grainy or old.

Ive looked at the sugar content in the high cocoa percentage bars (80% upwards) but its too high for me.

re: just those sugar free chocolates with sorbitol

My limited understanding of sorbitol is that it being an alcohol is not really better for most types of diabetes (if that is the issue). This is from the NIH website:

1. A sugar alcohol (sweetener) with 4 calories per gram. 2. A substance produced by the body in people with diabetes that can cause damage to the eyes and nerves.

Based on the feedback from our diabetic customers, we've stopped carrying sugar free chocolate, and they buy high percentage chocolate and enjoy in moderation.

I cant eat products containing sugar as Ive had a gastric bypass. Ive discovered that I can eat sugar free products.

My problem with sweets and mainly chocolate is that I will only stop eating it either when its finished or Im about to be sick (too much information perhaps?)

Im presuming you know the effects of consuming too much sugar alcohols? Well I do and beleive me theres a great incentive to partake of these products in small amounts!

Im afraid Im probably a bit of a peasant compared to the rest of you on egullet and am not to fond of the high cocoa %. I like my chocolate sweet and creamy. :blush:

• 7 years later...

Has anyone found a good sugar free chocolate to use for molding? I have seen one from Valrhona, but that's been a while back, and haven't had any luck finding anyrthing recently.

I have a few friends that are diabetic, and have asked me several times about making sugar free. I plan on giving chocolates this year, and was going to see if I could make them some as well.

Thanks!

Sugar free. I did a little more digging, and I found the Valrhona, but it was a bulk order, and 6 week lead time. So, they must not produce it like the regular. And, most of the info about it is a few years old.

I have found one by Felchlin, 62%. Says it sugar free, but doesn't say what the sweetener is. They also have a milk chocolate. Both between $13-15 a lb.

On the Cocoa Outlet's homepage for sugar free chocolates, it states that the sweetener used in the SF chocolates (all brands on the page), is Maltitol.  So, I'd guess that applies to the Felchlin as well. 

Here is the link to the page...  http://www.cocoaoutlet.com/index.php/chocolate/sugarfree.html

While I have not tried the SF Felchlin, I would guess its top notch, as the other offerings I have tried were nothing short of fantastic. Hope that helps.

A

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

On the Cocoa Outlet's homepage for sugar free chocolates, it states that the sweetener used in the SF chocolates (all brands on the page), is Maltitol.  So, I'd guess that applies to the Felchlin as well. 

Here is the link to the page...  http://www.cocoaoutlet.com/index.php/chocolate/sugarfree.html

While I have not tried the SF Felchlin, I would guess its top notch, as the other offerings I have tried were nothing short of fantastic. Hope that helps.

A

Thanks, I did find that page. Their prices and amounts were way more than I need. I did find this from Swiss Chalet:

http://www.scff.com/catalog/product/view/id/215/

May give it a try.

Here's the ingredients list for the Felchlin sugarfree:

cacao kernel, sweetener (E965: maltitol), cacao butter, emulsifier (E322.: sun flower lecithin), vanilla* Madagascar. Cacao minimum 62%.

HTH
Chris

• Like 1

Here's the ingredients list for the Felchlin sugarfree:

cacao kernel, sweetener (E965: maltitol), cacao butter, emulsifier (E322.: sun flower lecithin), vanilla* Madagascar. Cacao minimum 62%.

HTH

Chris

Thanks! I'm gonna get a couple of pounds and give it a shot.