• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining around Spoleto

forever_young_ca

My husband and I are planning to spend the first two weeks of October in a villa in Spoleto (Umbria). We will be doing day trips using the villa as our base.

I would welcome any suggestions that you may have as to places to eat in the region.

Thanks in advance...................

Life is short, eat dessert first

Norcia is only 40 minutes away. The town is famous for its wild boar and truffles-- which are joined together in some unbelievable sausage-- salsiccia di cinghale trufato (sp?). Cinghale is on the menus of most restaurants, and October is the perfect time to go eat it.

I don't have my last trip notes in front of me, so I can't name the specific shop and restaurant that I ate in (I'm sure someone else will chime in).

If you're a meat smuggler, be sure to put the sausage in your carry-on, not your checked luggage. My suitcase got lost, and all the sausage was missing when it got delivered to me. :(

I can recommend La Taverna del Pescatore, about 20 minutes north of Spoleto, just off the road to Foligno. Moreno cooks traditional yet creative Umbrian fare. And if the weather is nice, you can dine on the patio overlooking a small stream. Be sure the confirm driving directions in advance, as the restaurant can be a bit tricky to find.

Also, I had lunch in June at Osteria del Matto, just off the Piazza del Mercato. Filippo (who is in fact a tad looney) serves you whatever he sourced that day for Mama to prepare. The food is quite good and the restaurant, intimate and charming. This Toronto Star review pretty much sums up the experience -- though I got to see not just pix of his son, but the video feed of him from their apartment.

I have to run...can't play at the computer right now, but I'll give you the name of some other restaurants. It's also a great time to check out the local town festas, I'll see if I can find a link to a schedule. October is a beautiful (and delicious) time of year to come.