• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tre Colli near Asti

dfunghi

http://www.trecolli.com/ was a place I had wanted to try two years ago but they close abruptly the day of our reservation "for family business". I was wondering if any of you (in particular our Monferatto residents) had any opinion or suggestions about this place or another. This will be for a Saturday in late Oct and we will be coming from (and returning to) Torino for the meal. It is during the Salone and I really want to have a nice meal outside the city and not down in Alba area. SO I have wanted to try to find some places in the area East of Torino.

BTW I have a great story about my wife losing all or money and passports at a bus stop outside Montechiaro d'Asti so I have strange feelings about returning.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

• 4 weeks later...

You know I think we ate here about 7 years ago whe we first moved to Piedmont and I can't really remember much about it, it didn't really stand out, but we were new to Piedmont.

I might suggest La Ciocca in Castlenouvo Don Bosco, its a lot closer to Turin, and if not outstanding (depending on who is eating there) is very very good and it was the first place where we really appreciated truffles. You will need to book if you go on a weekend. 011-9876987

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Tre Colli in June, but it was for lunch and, in fact, for a light lunch as we were on bicycles. But it was beautiful on the patio, and the food was excellent. We only had some appetizers and pasta/risotto, but everything was fantastic -- and purty. They were kind also to allow our sweaty bodies in the place!

Went to Tre Colli (Montechiaro) for my wife's birthday last year on a suggestion of a friend who knows the owner and made the reservation for us. In spite of all that it was average at best, also we were the only customers in the place. Don't let the fancy web page and stickers on the front door fool you. There are much better places in the area to eat.

• 4 weeks later...

We did not make Tre Colli after all. We did however make it to Da Maria about 20 minutes away from Tre Colli for a really wonderful meal. Classic Piedmonte food. When I complemented the chef / owner Giorgio he replied simply "It is my job". The service and food were all top notch. This would be a fine place to plan a meal for a group or just a couple. The room is beautiful, the area serene and the food spot on. An assortment of hot and cold antipasti that just kept coming out of the kitchen followed by a wonderful pasta and topped off by a filling secondo if you have room. The food is all served tableside from tureens or platters by a very professional staff. Nice local wines, all very affordable. I will certainly add Da Maria to my list of places to return to year after year. The menu was 24 euros the day we were there. Seriously underpriced IMHO for the level of food and service.

Da Maria has been recommended by Swiss Chef and I along with my traveling partner can heartily endorse his recommendation. Thanks Ed for the great tip o Da Maria.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Da Maria has been recommended by Swiss Chef and I along with my traveling partner can heartily endorse his recommendation. Thanks Ed for the great tip to Da Maria.

Hi David,

Really glad you like it. Giorgio is a good cook and Da Maria is starting to get quite a reputation. I think he is going to put Zanco on the map!

See you in 2010!

Ed