• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West New York?

emilymarie

I'm having dinner with a friend who just moved to West New York and we're trying to find some place to eat dinner. We want delicious food only, be it a great Mexican joint, great Chinese or even a good pie! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I'm having dinner with a friend who just moved to West New York and we're trying to find some place to eat dinner. We want delicious food only, be it a great Mexican joint, great Chinese or even a good pie! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

EmilyMarie, I haven't been there lately, but I like Beyti Kebab in Union City. You pass by the meat on the way in, so if you and your friend are vegetarians, this might be a problem. The atmosphere isn't much in the first dining room, but they sometimes have a belly dancer and music in the other dining room, and the food is good and the prices are reasonable. Note, per the website, they're now BYOB.

http://www.beytikebab.com/

4105 Park Ave (corner of 41st), Union City, 201 865 6281

I think your best bets in the area are:

La Sorrentina (Italian) on Bergenline in North Bergen

Brooklyn's Pizza in Edgewater (Target mall River Road)

Sabor for higher end Latin (North Bergen River Road)

Turkish: Beyti Kabab

Argentinian: Chimichurri Grill on Bergenline

Roast Chicken: Pollos a La Brasa Mario (Bergenline @43rd)

There are a lot of good (not great) Cuban, Columbian, Mexican, etc places on Bergenline Ave. I tried a bunch and they are all decent and inexpensive but I never found any to be outstanding. My favorite is a Cuban restaurant on the corner of 46th and Bergenline called Manollos La Cachita which is very good for fried red snapper / broiled filets of fish. They have a full menu but I generally try to stick with the fish.

Give those a try. Just stay away from the PF Changs, Chart House, ETC

Keba

There's great stuff in Hoboken too...which is just down the road from West NY....

plus it's a cool town (like a little NY)...great for walking before or after dinner....with lots of after hours places.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this counts, but Mi Bandera on 31st (I think) in UC has been my family's jumping-off point for very good Cuban with a focus on steaks. I've had steakhouse steaks and they don't compare to a good Cuban shell steak. Las Palmas (6153 Bergenline Ave.) is also very, very good for a more down-home Cuban fare.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

• 1 month later...

I think your best bets in the area are:

La Sorrentina (Italian) on Bergenline in North Bergen

Brooklyn's Pizza in Edgewater (Target mall River Road)

Sabor for higher end Latin (North Bergen River Road)

Turkish: Beyti Kabab

Argentinian: Chimichurri Grill on Bergenline

Roast Chicken: Pollos a La Brasa Mario (Bergenline @43rd)

There are a lot of good (not great) Cuban, Columbian, Mexican, etc places on Bergenline Ave. I tried a bunch and they are all decent and inexpensive but I never found any to be outstanding. My favorite is a Cuban restaurant on the corner of 46th and Bergenline called Manollos La Cachita which is very good for fried red snapper / broiled filets of fish. They have a full menu but I generally try to stick with the fish.

Give those a try. Just stay away from the PF Changs, Chart House, ETC

Keba

Do you know if Chimichurri Grill has moved? or is closed?

We just spent a good half hour walking from 70 - 79th street in Bergenline (according to search it's on 77th) but could not find it?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 3 weeks later...

I Just drove by and Chimichurri Grill has been replaced by another restaurant. It was 2 blocks down from the park on the same side. There main location is in Manhattan (around 9th avenue & 43rd).

Do you know if Chimichurri Grill has moved? or is closed?

We just spent a good half hour walking from 70 - 79th street in Bergenline (according to search it's on 77th) but could not find it?