• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2008 world pastry team championship

duckduck

If anyone is interested, the winners of the championship this year.

gold - usa

silver- japan

bronze - switzerland

sugar - usa

chocolate - japan

desgustation - usa

best buffet table - japan

sportsmanship - mexico

pastry chef of the year - Franz Ziegler

Here's a link to an article Clay Gordon did on it that has a nice photo at the top.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/09/pastry-geek-heaven.html

My understanding is that they will be returning to Phoenix next year for the competition.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

...ummm...where's France?

Judging by the names, France was very well represented. . . on the American team.

Are there any US-born pastry chefs who compete in these things? It seems the pastry chefs on the other teams are native to the countries they represent.

Not that it matters...just wondering why there aren't any US-born chefs on the US team. Are they just not that interested in participating?

US born pastry chefs do participate, but didn't happen to win the National competition this year. I keep hoping for Team Ruskell to win the national championship. Maybe next year. :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

And by the way, I hear Mitch is competing again in the National Bread and Pastry Team Championship in Atlantic City Sept 21st & 22nd. Good luck, Mitch!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

HERE are some more pics of the creations. I love the entrement design of the American team. I look forward to seeing some recipes.

I'm having fun dropping the comments at that link into a language translator. My favorite is: "therefore in fact this is the France that won, no?"

Edited by gfron1 (log)