• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pectin ratios

TheSwede

I'm going to try to make a pates de fruit more or less according to Kerry Beal's recipe found here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=118329&st=30#

However, I don't have easy access to pure apple pectin. But I can buy a product in my local supermarket called Melatin which basically contains fructose and apple pectin in an unknown ratio. I'm trying to determine what percentage of pectin it contains.

For marmelade, the recipe is 1600 g fruit and 40 g Melatin. For jelly, the recipe is 1 l unsweetened liquid, 40 g Melatin and 750 g sugar.

Can any experienced marmelade-/jellymaker tell me the likely pectin content of Melatin?

(This almost sounds like an old school math test question. :smile: )

Sugar first, then pectin, so it is maximum 50% pectin. It is a powder, not a liquid.

Right - so for a first experiment try doubling the weight of the pectin component. You can scale down the recipe considerably while experimenting. You might want want to do a no booze version for your experiments to keep the cost down. Replace the booze with juice.