• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oregon Coast Suggestions?

oggi

I'll be spending some time in Portland later this week. One of my favorite cities, period. On Friday afternoon, I'll be driving out to the coast. We'll be staying in Seaside, and plan on just trying to relax, enjoy some scenery, hiking. I've read that Mo's has the best clam chowder? Not sure if this is tourist fodder or if its really something to go after? Also, just looking for opinions on dining options in the general area - in general, good food, representative of the locale is really what appeals to me. Also, if there happens to be a place you know to get some great sandwiches or other picnic fare, I'd be up for hearing about that as well!

Yeah, kind of vague, but since I haven't spent any time there, I'm just trying to get a feeler...

Thanks in advance!

</Oggi>

"coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death and sweet as love" - Turkish Proverb

I'll be spending some time in Portland later this week.  One of my favorite cities, period.  On Friday afternoon, I'll be driving out to the coast.  We'll be staying in Seaside, and plan on just trying to relax, enjoy some scenery, hiking.  I've read that Mo's has the best clam chowder?  Not sure if this is tourist fodder or if its really something to go after?  Also, just looking for opinions on dining options in the general area - in general, good food, representative of the locale is really what appeals to me.  Also, if there happens to be a place you know to get some great sandwiches or other picnic fare, I'd be up for hearing about that as well!

Yeah, kind of vague, but since I haven't spent any time there, I'm just trying to get a feeler...

Thanks in advance!

Tourist crap!

Rocky

oggi, I hope you did a search in the PNW board - there are lots of great suggestions:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=80851&hl=

I must add my voice to the non-Mo's crowd. While the chowder is ok, if it's the only place open, I once had the worst oysters in the world there. Baked oysters.... arrived 6 HUGE plain oysters on one side of their shells, no seasoning, no nuthin' but those palm sized bivalves, in a glass pan straight from the oven. Just nasty.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Hi, I am in Seaside, welcome! I would not miss Yummy Wine Bar on Broadway. This is a fantastic addition to the Seaside dining scene. We have been several times, our meal a few days ago was again, wonderful. Check out their website. They are now offering some great Fall items, I had the Crab & Mushroom Risotto a few nights ago, it was fantastic. My son and husband both had the Duck Breast which they loved, I like to do wine flights here, your server will make suggestions for you according to what you want to order. Don't miss desserts here!

For Italian food go to Taste of Tuscany. If you want some great comfort food in a more casual ambiance, go to the Bigfoot Pub & Grub (weird name) for perfectly prepared steaks, ribs (Sun. night) prime rib etc. We have dined here twice in the past week.

In nearby Gearhart, get thee to the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe. We dined here last night and I loved the Parmesan Encrusted Halibut, dinners are served wity homemade bread and a your choice of a green or caesar salad. Don't miss the Marionberry cobblers here.

About 20 minutes away in Astoria is the new Bridgewater Bistro where we have had several great meals. Drina Daisy for Bosnian food, Ship Inn for fish and chips and Fulio's for Italian here. Clemente's is also a great choice, they are in a new space now, beautiful building and great Salmon here.

Another good place in Seaside is the Seaside Ocean Inn, a new place on the prom housed at a Bed and Breakfast. Very good food and nice ocean views here. Any further questions feel free to ask! :)

• 1 month later...