• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peperoncino Substitute

Shel_B

There's a steamed calamari recipe I want to try and one of the seasoning ingredients is peperoncino, the Italian chile peppers, sprinkled on the calamari after it's cooked and just prior to serving. If I can't find them here, what would be a good substitute?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for the pickled or jarred peppers, but the plain chile peppers.

Thanks for any suggestions,

shel

... Shel

What is meant by peperoncino in this context is crushed red pepper, aka red pepper flakes....

If you can't find the red pepper flakes in your local grocery store, any asian market will carry them (cheaper, too).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 13 years later...

Peperoncino are really spicy, I think about 30,000 on the Scoville Scale. Some could confuse them with pepperoncini, which are completely different, they're yellow and barely have any spice. Given their placement on the Scoville Scale, to substitute peperoncino, I would use cayenne peppers, I think they're easier to find.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, deny1412 said:

Peperoncino are really spicy, I think about 30,000 on the Scoville Scale. Some could confuse them with pepperoncini, which are completely different, they're yellow and barely have any spice. Given their placement on the Scoville Scale, to substitute peperoncino, I would use cayenne peppers, I think they're easier to find.

'Peperoncino' is just the generic name for the array of capsicum varietals (i.e. chillies), so some of them aren't particularly spicy.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org