• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Wine Bars

Freckles

Hello, everyone. Autumn is just around the corner and I`m excited to see my friends upon la Rentree. Would like to meet up with or 5 girlfriends and swap summer stories over a few glasses of good wine. Is there anywhere you`d recommend? I love Les Couleurs de Vignes in the 15th (discovered it on the recommendation of a fellow egulleter) but would like to try somewhere different. What is your personal favourite, please?

My wife and I were in Paris a little more than a year ago, and we went to a place called Le Verre Volé, which we found via issue 60 of The Art of Eating. We had a lot of fun there. Some quotes:

The music...is loud, and the customers are mostly young. The extra-casual, tiny wine bar...is serious about wines made by small-scale producers using natural methods and little or no sulfur.

There was no music playing when we were there, very early in the evening. The selection of wines is unlike any you'll see anywhere else.

Le Verre Volé is also a good, cheap place to eat...its license requires that those who drink order a little something.

If you ask for a bottle of water, you may be reminded that you are in a bar a vins, but then, possibly, someone will run down the street to buy you a bottle...It's necessary to reserve.

We did find the owner very friendly and helpful. We were trying to choose between two bistros in the neighborhood, and he offered his opinion on each. He even offered to make reservations for us, though I wish he hadn't said "Do you have a table for two Americans?" when he made the reservation!

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

My wife and I were in Paris a little more than a year ago, and we went to a place called Le Verre Volé

Which, incidentally, is at 67, rue de Lancry in the 10th. The closest Metro stop is Jacques Bonsergeant.

Tel: 01.4803.1734

closed on Sunday evening.

Sorry about not including that!

Derrick

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

La Tartine, rue de Rivoli by the metro St. Paul.  Apparently it's been cleaned up a bit, haven't been there lately -- I was always amazed at the walls which had not been painted in 50 years.  I hope it's as good now as it was then.

La Tartine

Sadly, La Tartine, as it was was, is no longer. Was there in March of this year, and the whole interior has changed. It's NOT the same. My guess is it was sold, probably to whomever has Au Chai de l'Abbaye in Saint Germain....the dishes were the same. Still good, but decidedly commercial.

Bistro Melac in the 11th is worth a visit.

If you don't mind trekking up to the 18th, Aux Negociants is worth the trip. Its at:

27, rue Lambert - Paris 75018.

Tel: 01 46 06 15 11,

Subway: Château Rouge / Lamarck

I was there for lunch and we were the only non-Parisians in the place. Everything we ate was delicious, but if you see the choucroute on the menu I'd recommend it -- it looked fantastic, though we were too stuffed to order it.

Aux Negociants is also profiled in Patricia Wells' Food Lovers Guide to Paris.

Have any of you tried Les Caves Petrissans in the 17th?  Can one go there just for drinks and snacks, or must one order a full meal?

The quick answer is yes, although I am one of those who's only been there for drinks. I'm without my Lebey or Pudlowski right now, but check them for details.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks for all these wonderful suggestions. My goal for the fall has now become to try TEN NEW WINE BARS (any of you Egulleters in Paris wanna join me?) So please keep the ideas coming.

The Couleurs de Vigne is tiny and wonderful. The walls are green and there are only about 6 small tables in the whole place. It`s run by a guy who used to be a banker then retired and started this place for the joy of it. He is chatty, welcoming, relaxed and very helpful. It`s not 2 minutes on foot from the Cordon Bleu. The menu is very limited but tasty.

This is what egulleter LKL Chu wrote about it last spring in this forum

``It's a fairly new, beautiful little wine cafe/shop. The owner's a retired banker who decided to bring some of his country house life to the city. He's so cool - always totally patient with our rowdy crowds.``

To read a bit more and get the address, check out this link.

http://parisvoice.com/03/nov/html/food/fooddrink.cfm

Thanks!!!

From the Digest:

"Where. In February I found three pretty new wine bars mentioned by Alexander Lobrano –

La Muse Vin 101 rue de Charonne in the 11th, 01.40.09.93.05

Les Couleurs de Vigne 2 rue Marmontel, 15th, 01.45.33.32.96 featuring Auvergnat meat and cheese.

Chez Grisette 14 rue Houdon, 18th, 01.42.62.04.80 where he liked the Aurillac cold meats, pork shin on lentils (from the ardoise) and a homemade terrine de campagne."

John Talbott

I love Caves Miard in the 6th, but it's NEVER mentionned in any quides for some reason. It's a beautiful old cremerie which has been transformed into a tiny wine shop/wine bar. They only have a few tables, so I suppose it's good that it's not very well known. They serve small plates like wonderful cured ham that they slice in front of you and different cheeses.

Caves Miard

9 rue 4 Vents

75006 M: Odeon

Open: Monday-Saturday

And Freckles I would love to join you for a glass of wine one night and will send you a PM.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

So, if I just want to meet up with some friends for an after work drink and chat, and maybe a few snacks, could I do that at Caves Petrissan or will we be expected to partake of a full meal?

Edited by Freckles (log)

Ten wine bars? Let's make that eleven! :laugh: I'd also try Les Enfants Rouges, rue de Beauce in the 3rd: nice classic bistro food, and a huge wine list (with some great stuff in the Rhone valley, Beaujolais, the Loire Valley). And by the way, La Muse Vin, in the 11th, is fun too. Casual, young, natural wines — and food's not bad at all. Have fun!

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

I`m sorry... what is Lebey, svp?

There are two guides published by Albin Michel:

Lebey: le guide des Restaurants de Paris 15 E and

Le Petit Lebey des Bistrots Parisiens 12,50 E

They are "pretty good" esp for coordinates, dishes served, etc rather than ratings.

For juicy details on their composition you'll have to consult "Food Business" or this review which says that "Claude Lebey (really Claude Jolly), “the godfather” of the profession, who has written, edited, directed, served as an middleman – in short – “done everything, eaten everything, seen everything” in the business. His reputation was secured in the 1970’s when he signed up for the publishing house of Chez Albin everyone from Guérard to Maximin as well as G & M, Pudlowski and Simon. The godfather role apparently stems from his knowledge of everyone and role as headhunter who is able to hook up chefs with restaurants, etc., as if they were soccer players. The two guidebooks that bear his name are thought by the authors though to resemble reference guides more than food guides do. Now over 80, he’s unable to turn away from the game."

John Talbott

Thanks. I did happen to stumble across Les Enfants Rouge this weekend by pure coincidence. On your recommendation, Zoave, I sat and had a quick drink (It was just lovely. Very cute and cozy and relaxed. Will return with friends. One down, 9 to go!

Ma Bourgogne, place des Vosges is bad enough that I wrote the Office de Tourisme about them. They overcharged us, and then the owner made sexual remarks to the female members of my party. I'm a concierge in Paris, so you can image how I was doubly shocked by their behavior.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

FYI – In tomorrow’s Where’s Alexander Lobrano reports on several ”new” places, among them two wine bars: the newly renovated Taverne Henri IV on the Ile de la Cité (already cited in the Digest) and the new Temps au Temps, 13 rue Paul Bert in the 11th, 0143.79.63.40. Enjoy!

John Talbott

The Temps au Temps is actually a restaurant -- although they do have a nice (but short, for the moment) wine list. I've already been there once: food is quite OK, the place is really small, and the atmopshere is sort of "bourgeois boheme" like they say in Paris.

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

The Temps au Temps is actually a restaurant -- although they do have a nice (but short, for the moment) wine list. I've already been there once: food is quite OK, the place is really small, and the atmopshere is sort of "bourgeois boheme" like they say in Paris.

Zouve - You've raised an interesting issue because to my eye and Figaroscope's reviewers, both the Taverne Henri IV and Temps au Temps are restaurants yet Lobrano called them wine bars in Where. Are Willi's or Les Papilles wine bars? and Le Vin dans les Voiles was reviewed as a restaurant but when I went the patron was clear it was a wine bar serving a few dishes only.

John Talbott