• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Genepy

Liza

In the latest Art Culinaire (Issue 66), there's a one pager on Genepy:

"This herbal mountain dew, genepy or genepi des Alpes, is known as a natural elixir indigenous to the western Alps. ...A mixture of pure alcohol, water and the dried flowers of the plant are all that are needed to create a version of this Alpine elixir for home consumption... the classic way to enjoy this drink is to kick back at a ski station in the heart of winter and dig into some hearty fondue or tartiflette...accompanied by a tiny glass of this potent liqueur."

Can anyone illuminate me on the flavor of this herbal concoction and what - if any - herb might substitute for it?

Genepi des Alpes is made from Artemisia mutellina (Alpine Wormwood). It belongs to the same genus as wormwood used to make Absinthe. My friend (French Alp native) considers it to be "King of Alpine liquors" (there are loads of these, made from different herbs/flowers". She suspects that it is one of the major componants of Yellow Chautreuse, so you could taste this or you could buy it on-line, as there seems to be several suppliers. Couldn't determine if it gets you stoned or not.

Just curious to try it, perhaps spilled into an ersatz fondue. Art Culinaire does mention the absinthe connection, and points out that Artemisia absinthe is a different wormwood plant. (For those interested in absinthe, by the way, Art Culinaire issue 49 has an article - I'm happy to photocopy it.)