• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

matzo substitute

pastrygirl

I found a recipe that looks pretty good for an apple honey cake but it is made with matzo, which I neither have nor have reason to use. If I just use flour, would I substitute the same amount? I could come up with some bread crumbs or graham cracker crumbs if that would work better.

Also same question with farina & semolina - how to substitute?

Since haven't seen the actual recipe, it is difficult to ascertain what type of matzo is required ... the meal itself, matzo farfel, or matzo cake meal ... please share this recipe and we can offer ideas  ....

But of course. Cardamom apple almond cake at epicurious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...OND-CAKE-231812

It says NOT cake meal, so I guess regular matzo meal? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the varieties of matzo.

thanks

Since haven't seen the actual recipe, it is difficult to ascertain what type of matzo is required ... the meal itself, matzo farfel, or matzo cake meal ... please share this recipe and we can offer ideas  ....

But of course. Cardamom apple almond cake at epicurious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...OND-CAKE-231812

It says NOT cake meal, so I guess regular matzo meal? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the varieties of matzo.

thanks

The matzo meal I have is ground pretty fine. Maybe you could substitute fine dry white breadcrumbs.

If the recipe calls for matzo cake meal, I would say give it a shot, substituting flour for the cake meal -- adding extra flour. Cake/matzo meal absorbs more liquid than flour. But since it specifies matzo meal, not cake, I don't think the flour would work.

Graham cracker or breadcrumbs wouldn't make a good sub either. If you wanted to, you could probably bake some 'matzah' and pulse it in a food processor. Only ingredients in matzah are flour and water.

I just read the instructions a little closer, and I take that back. It has you process the matzo meal with the nuts, so it's basically going to turn the meal into cake meal. I'd try it with flour, but maybe start the nuts processing before adding it. And I'd bump the flour up by about 2 Tbsp.