• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone make their own paprika?

DanConnor

This year I ordered paprika pepper seeds from Johnny's Seeds, and now have a few dozen lovely big paprika peppers. I'm not exactly sure how to process them, but it seems pretty straightforward. I sliced a half dozen fairly small, and have them in a dehydrator now.

After drying, I had planned to grind them up in a little spice grinder, but my wife burned it out trying to turn a 50 lb sack of flax seed into meal for her horses. :biggrin:

Someone told me you could make them into powder with a mortar and pestle. I'm not too sure about that, but will give it a dry. Probably will end up replacing the spice grinder.

I wonder exactly how dry to let the peppers get. I also wonder what is the best way to store the paprika. Maybe as the dehydrated peppers, and then just grind as needed?

Any thoughts welcome!

This year I ordered paprika pepper seeds from Johnny's Seeds, and now have a few dozen lovely big paprika peppers. I'm not exactly sure how to process them, but it seems pretty straightforward. I sliced a half dozen fairly small, and have them in a dehydrator now.

After drying, I had planned to grind them up in a little spice grinder, but my wife burned it out trying to turn a 50 lb sack of flax seed into meal for her horses.  :biggrin:

Someone told me you could make them into powder with a mortar and pestle. I'm not too sure about that, but will give it a dry. Probably will end up replacing the spice grinder.

I wonder exactly how dry to let the peppers get. I also wonder what is the best way to store the paprika. Maybe as the dehydrated peppers, and then just grind as needed?

Any thoughts welcome!

Well, that worked well. I guess I was still laughing at the mental image I had of the little spice grinder whizzing through 50 lbs of flax seed. Thank you so much - that was the best belly laugh I've had in ages. I only wish after the big chuckle you gave me that I could be of some help. I have no idea what you should do.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

I am not a fan of drying peppers to bone dry for grinding but you can. I dry slowly on screens, lightly covered, just out of the sun, but a dehydrator is fine. My preference is to take them to the somewhat stiff leather stage, then toast briefly in a dry pan (whenever I am ready to grind), till slightly toasted but not crisp; further drying occurs after toasting just dumped on a plate on the counter to cool. Ditch the seeds before grinding.

Kevin

I've never made paprika but I've done the dry & grind with many veggies and a Ronco dehydrator. I've tasted home-made paprika that was also smoked -- very nice.

I imagine it's a lot harder to powderize dry bell peppers with a mortar & pestle than it is with an electric grinder -- unless it's a tiny batch. I've dried sliced hot peppers to the point where they simply crumbled into the jar. I'd get them as dessicated as possible before the grind.

Your horses must have flowing flaxen manes and tails?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack