• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit puree recipe

sote23

Depends on what you're going to use it for in the end.

I usually just toss peeled and seeded fresh fruit into the blender. But, fruit like pears and apples has a type of fiber in it that has a texture like straw if the fresh puree is frozen.

For making sorbets and ices from apples, pears, etc, some recipes deal with this by calling for cooking the fruit before pureeing, others have you juice the fresh fruit with an electric juicer so there's almost no fiber whatsoever in the juice.

I have made really great apple sorbet using fresh juice, and preserving the color with vitamin C crystals. (the juicer really opens up the iron in the fruit and it discolors very quickly)

For use in mousse or mirror-tops, etc, lightly cooking the fruit then tossing in the blender works just fine.

Because a generic puree is never the same from batch to batch or fruit to fruit, you may need to adjust your brix levels, depending on the final recipe's intent. For example, fresh strawberries have a lot more water, less pulp & less sugar as a puree than a papaya puree.

I took a class in ices at the World Pastry Forum '06, taught by the French Pastry School (Chicago), where we got charts showing approximate fiber and sugar levels in various fruits, and formulae for adjusting recipes accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Luis,

I just take the fresh fruit, peel (or not), simmer to soften, then put through the finest plate in the food mill. Then I just pack it into the Boiron puree containers that I have emptied, then freeze. Nice thing about their containers - you can just take it out and slice off what you need before putting the rest back in the freezer.

Luis,

I just take the fresh fruit, peel (or not), simmer to soften, then put through the finest plate in the food mill.  Then I just pack it into the Boiron puree containers that I have emptied, then freeze. Nice thing about their containers - you can just take it out and slice off what you need before putting the rest back in the freezer.

Hi kerry,

Do you simmer in water? good idea, to put back into the boiron container, I have a few of those laying around.

Luis

Luis,

I just take the fresh fruit, peel (or not), simmer to soften, then put through the finest plate in the food mill.  Then I just pack it into the Boiron puree containers that I have emptied, then freeze. Nice thing about their containers - you can just take it out and slice off what you need before putting the rest back in the freezer.

Hi kerry,

Do you simmer in water? good idea, to put back into the boiron container, I have a few of those laying around.

Luis

I don't usually bother to add any water, just leave the lid on so a bit of steam builds up.

• 7 months later...

This was helpful. I'm sitting on 50# of kumquats right now that will turn probably by morning. Based on above, and noting that I don't have a specific use for them yet, and noting that kumquats are only good if you have both the rind and center IMO, but they have big seeds...I"m going to simmer slightly, I might add a bit of glucose or invert (I'll read what they have on my factory puree containers), process, de-seed as I'm able and pack away. Sound right?

Ooops, from the Kumquat growers website:

Kumquat Puree Preparation (for your favorite recipe)

Wash fruit, cut in half and remove seeds. Place in blender or food chopper (A blender makes a finer puree). Do not cook. Use puree in recipes as called for or freeze in zip-lock bags or other freezer containers.  Puree can be stored for six months or more.  When you use frozen puree .. defrost and drain the excess liquid before using.