• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A cocktail I won't be trying

emilyr

A British girl traveling in Greece had a 10 Euro drink that included Baileys, chilli, tequila, absinthe, ouzo, vodka, cider and gin. :wacko:

And then her face swelled to the size of a soccer ball. :shock:

I don't actually know what's more shocking, the swelling or paying 10 Euros for a drink with that combination of flavors!

Clicky for the story.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Don't you think that THE most shocking thing is the ORDERING of said cocktail. And I do hope that she is ok, but shouldn't there be some consequences for Gastronomic stupidity. It would be like the Darwin Awards for the culinary world.

"I live on fast food, and drink a gallon of soda a day, and now I am having health issues."

"I ate food off the buffet knowing it had been sitting there for hours. And now my tummy hurts."

"My friends And I were having a Scotch Bonnet chili eating contest and now it hurts when..."

"I went to a place on Sunday advertizing Discount Sushi..."

"I'll just whip myself up a pint of Rittenhouse Old Fashioned to keep that bottle of Champers company....................................................SSSSHHHHHHH my head hurts"

I know I have made some foolish, foolish food and drink choices in my life, and paid for them in a variety of ways.

But I am sure not to have a Long Island from Hell cocktail.

Toby

ETA stuff

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Those first two ingredients were all I needed to see. You can sure as hell bet that whomever came with that concoction isn't drinking it himself.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

While the drink sounds disgusting, and certainly, anyone who orders it might be better off sitting out from alcohol the rest of their life, personally, if it happened to me, I'd be curious what part of it I had such a severe reaction to.

I mean unless one of the alcohols was tampered with, really, there's no particular reason this woman's head should have swollen. Seems like it is probably a severe allergic reaction to something in the drink.

Be good to know what that something is. You know, just so you can avoid it the rest of your life.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

We used to drain the barmats and dare people to do the resulting shot. Sounds fairly similar to me...

I doubt it was merely an allergy to alcohol. I'd hope that wasn't the first drink she'd ever ordered. She really ought to find out what caused that severe reaction. Anaphylactic shock casts such a pall over a nice night out. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A British girl traveling in Greece had a 10 Euro drink that included Baileys, chilli, tequila, absinthe, ouzo, vodka, cider and gin.  :wacko:

And then her face swelled to the size of a soccer ball.  :shock:

I don't actually know what's more shocking, the swelling or paying 10 Euros for a drink with that combination of flavors!

Clicky for the story.

thats us brits abroad for you!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

The story says that the local hospital had seen similar reactions in the last few days. I wonder what it was in the drink that was so bad, allergen-wise. The chili?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini