• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Toronto Cocktail Places

ricain

Hi Everyone - in Toronto spending a few days on vacation... which means for me the need for excellently mixed libations...

Any recommendations from the locals?

Establishments mentioned to me to date:

- Ki

- Bymark

- Resevroir Lounge (not sure this is exactly right)

- Pravda

- One

- Canoe

- Nyood

- Kulturs

- Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar

Anyway, would love your suggestions as I am sure there are excellent places here...

Hi Everyone - in Toronto spending a few days on vacation... which means for me the need for excellently mixed libations...

- Ki

- Bymark

- Pravda

- One

- Canoe

- Nyood

- Kulturs

- Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar

Anyway, would love your suggestions as I am sure there are excellent places here...

If I was looking for interesting, inventive cocktails, I'd head to Nyood or the Drake (which happen to be located in the same neighbourhood).

The Drake has some interesting concoctions. I like the Dorothy Parker cocktail they serve. I didn't see it on the most recent drinks menu, but I'm sure they would still make it.

I didn't try any of the cocktails at Nyood (stuck with wine), but the ones mentioned on their drinks menu did look interesting. They also have 4 different sangrias IIRC. My friend really enjoyed the white wine and berry sangria. Nyood mentions the name of their mixologist on their drinks menu, which is unusual in Toronto (but I can't remember his name right now).

Also, in the past I've had interesting cocktails at Czehoski on W Queen W. They used to serve a mixed berry julep that was really delicious.

I also love the raspberry mojito at Trapezzi. That's the only cocktail that has wowed me at Trapezzi, though. I wouldn't consider Trapezzi a destination spot, but it's great if you already are on the Danforth.

Caren's Wine Bar in Yorkville also has an extensive cocktail list, including some champagne cocktails, but I haven't tried any yet.

Spice Route on King West is a bit of a hot spot right now, but I've found their cocktails are hit or miss, depending on which bartender you approach. In fact, I have had one bartender say they are all out of mojitos (?) to find out an hour later that the bartender 10 metres away was still making them. I guest bartender No. 1 was too busy to muddle any mint.

Pravda has a great selection of vodkas and vodka cocktails.

Also, there's Reposado, (a tequila bar) on Ossington that I haven't tried, but might be worth a visit.

I don't think the Reservoir Lounge is a drinks destination- just a bar with live music.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

• 5 months later...

- Ki

- Bymark

- Pravda

- One

- Canoe

- Nyood

- Kulturs

- Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar

If I was looking for interesting, inventive cocktails, I'd head to Nyood or the Drake (which happen to be located in the same neighbourhood).

The Drake has some interesting concoctions. I like the Dorothy Parker cocktail they serve. I didn't see it on the most recent drinks menu, but I'm sure they would still make it.

I didn't try any of the cocktails at Nyood (stuck with wine), but the ones mentioned on their drinks menu did look interesting. They also have 4 different sangrias IIRC. My friend really enjoyed the white wine and berry sangria. Nyood mentions the name of their mixologist on their drinks menu, which is unusual in Toronto (but I can't remember his name right now).

Also, in the past I've had interesting cocktails at Czehoski on W Queen W. They used to serve a mixed berry julep that was really delicious.

I also love the raspberry mojito at Trapezzi. That's the only cocktail that has wowed me at Trapezzi, though. I wouldn't consider Trapezzi a destination spot, but it's great if you already are on the Danforth.

Caren's Wine Bar in Yorkville also has an extensive cocktail list, including some champagne cocktails, but I haven't tried any yet.

Spice Route on King West is a bit of a hot spot right now, but I've found their cocktails are hit or miss, depending on which bartender you approach. In fact, I have had one bartender say they are all out of mojitos (?) to find out an hour later that the bartender 10 metres away was still making them. I guest bartender No. 1 was too busy to muddle any mint.

Pravda has a great selection of vodkas and vodka cocktails.

Also, there's Reposado, (a tequila bar) on Ossington that I haven't tried, but might be worth a visit.

I don't think the Reservoir Lounge is a drinks destination- just a bar with live music.

Recently discovered that the Harbord Room has some innovative cocktails on their menu.

Enjoyed the Kaffir Collins.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

• 4 months later...

Two places that are serving very interesting cocktails in Toronto are Barchef and Black Hoof.

Barchef, Toronto

Great care is taken to make many of the bitters and syrups in-house, as you can tell by fthe rows of medicinal-looking jars on the counter (two examples? Grapefruit bitters and cola bitters). Some of the drinks served:

- Malpeque oyster submerged in a stellar Caesar

- martini served three ways: dry, dirty and steeped in rosemary.

- Sake and fresh orange juice with soy, a strip of honeyed duck, bridged over the glass, and sesame seeds on the rim

- Caramelized Banana, salted butter, coconut puree, banana and spiced rum

- Van Gogh's Downfall: absinthe, bitters, orange blossom water, lemon, cloves, and star anise

- Mojito Raviolis mint, lime, sugar and rum contained in a tiny gelationous bubble that burst in the mouth with a pop.

472 Queen St. W., 416-868-4800

Black Hoof, Toronto

Minimal décor, small, unpretentious, rustic, with the meat-centric menu scribbled on a blackboard. The kitchen is a tiny galley.

Bartender and co-owner Jen Agg serves a drink called Delilah, blending vodka, icewine and muddled grapes. There's A monthly rotation of one of a kind cocktails, and she makes her own syrups, reductions and bitters for use in the bar. The Basil Fawlty is a mix of gin, basil, lemon/lime juice and orange blossom.

I can't seem to find their website, though - would like to see the full cocktail list!

928 Dundas St. W.

tel. 416-551-8854

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website