• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezer AFTER party

HungryC

I just finished the dirty job, and the only things to survive my stuff-the-freezer-with-ice method were a bag of baby limas and a bag of speckled butter beans. Rats. The fridge was a near total loss, too. Guess I'm having beans for supper...

What I learned this time: almond extract on a napkin gives the freezer a nice aroma, better than bleach or Formula 409.

Did you do Brooks suggestion? I wish I had loaded a cooler with everthing and ffity pounds of ice. Thinking we were staying, I went to the store Saturday, through it all awa y Sunday morning, then bought about exactly the same thing today. This evacuation stuff gets expemsive.

For reclaiming the freezer, I layed out newspaper on each shelf with ground charcoal on top and a dozen of those arm and hammer fridge packs and let it run for a month, worked great. I like the almong extract idea. Or maybe some gardenia blossom's.