• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro type place for steak

LPShanet

Looking to make a recommendation to a friend for a casual place where you can get a good steak. They are not into going to a steakhouse, both due to atmosphere and price. So we're looking for the kind of place that serves a good everyday steak on the menu, such as a French bistro or the like. Any thoughts on the best "sleeper" steaks around? Preferably somewhere downtown or anywhere east side below 42nd.

Looking to make a recommendation to a friend for a casual place where you can get a good steak.  They are not into going to a steakhouse, both due to atmosphere and price.  So we're looking for the kind of place that serves a good everyday steak on the menu, such as a French bistro or the like.  Any thoughts on the best "sleeper" steaks around?  Preferably somewhere downtown or anywhere east side below 42nd.

Balthazar.

or even the hanger steak au poivre at Schiller's

Les Halles always came through with a good steak.

At Schiller's, the hangar steak is usually a special and a pretty small portion - their standard steak frites is like $22 and then they do a "sirloin" steak for like $29 - all come with fries.

Agree with Balthazar.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Looking to make a recommendation to a friend for a casual place where you can get a good steak.  They are not into going to a steakhouse, both due to atmosphere and price.  So we're looking for the kind of place that serves a good everyday steak on the menu, such as a French bistro or the like.  Any thoughts on the best "sleeper" steaks around?  Preferably somewhere downtown or anywhere east side below 42nd.

landmarc

i much prefer the tribeca location. the service at time warner has always been a mess for me.