• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woks - Buying, Care, and Use

eatingwitheddie

Ms. Tropp suggests this step be repeated two or three more times, with the pan cooling between onslaughts of oil. I repeated the rubbing until I got a good colour on the bottom of the pan, and oil began to bead up and run down in rivulets along the side.

2009 09 13 015.JPG

You can also see how it seems to have a small shiny area on the bottom.

2009 09 13 009.JPG

As I use it to cook, I hope the dark shiny area will build. After two week's use, I'm already getting a nice colour there, and food is sliding around nicely on the bottom of the pan.

I shall never use soap on it, and I'm emptying it out immediately after use, but Barbara is very anti-wok brush. I'm wondering, though, if I use the wok everyday, with it stand up to some light abrasive, like a bamboo brush?

• 8 months later...

Hello, I need a little bit of reassurance :rolleyes:

Last summer I seasoned a new carbon steel wok but after use it was flaking and I thought maybe I didn't remove properly the protective patina or I didn't season properly. But we were moving house and I just put the wok aside. I just took it out yesterday and was determined to start fresh. It took me a good hour of scrubbing and I wasn't yet done to remove the previous seasoning, so, out of desperation I used some sand paper.

Then washed with soapy water and rinsed. Then proceeded to season on the stove, three times. It looks ok but not sure if properly done, I'll post maybe a picture later.

Yesterday night I used straight away to deep fry some small fishes, but I really became dubious about using the sand paper and eating carbon steel dust...it seems fine to the touch, do you think I'm just becoming paranoid about it? It is ok?

You're worried about having metal dust in your food? So, I would heat the wok up on the stove, and take some oiled paper towel and run it around the inside with some tongs. If the paper remains clear, it should be okay, no? After a deep-fry, I'd think that you'd have a good strat on your re-seasoning. The other thing to check might be the oil that you used during the frying - have you drained and strained it? If it's clear, you should be okay.

You're worried about having metal dust in your food?

Yes.

I did as you suggested.

Here the wok warming up on the stove

wok seasoning.jpg

you can see in the center I scratched too much with sand paper

paper1.jpg

The first paper I think it's kind of burned, I still had the wok on the stove.

paper 2.jpg

then I took out of the stove the wok and I flipped over the paper and rubbed with the tongs.

Then I took a third paper and came out like this

paper 3.jpg

It should be ok, I think. Unfortunately, I tossed the oil without thinking of filtering :angry:

Would you feel safe cooking in it?

I think I did a pretty bad job with sand paper and the wok it's all scratched...

A well-used wok is a happy wok! I went through a long, dry period this winter where I was mostly just making soups and braises, and my wok didn't get much use - no more than once a week. But I've taken to leaving it on my stovetop to remind me it's there, and I dug out my Revolutionary Cookbook to make some more dishes. Actually the patina on it has built up quite a bit compared to my original pictures from above, so I guess I should be quite proud of it.

I just finished seasoning my carbon steel wok using an oven based method recommended by The Wok Shop. The coating that appeared over around half a dozen rounds seems fairly resilient, but I have one further concern about the continued maintenance of my wok. After my first two uses of it, first an onion to remove any nasty flavors left over from seasoning, and second a batch of beef and broccoli, I noticed a build up of a sooty substance (presumably carbon) in the center of the wok producing a matte finish that'll leave a paper towel slightly blackened if wiped across it. This coating is only present where the highest heat occurs in the center of the wok, and it seems to conflict with the non-stick properties of the seasoning slightly, but I'm not one hundred percent certain on it's effects.

Does anyone have some information to at least explain what this is and if it is normal? I've used a carbon steel wok fairly regularly for the past year, but I am still very inexperienced by any measure. I have tried to look for information, but mostly I cannot find anything discussing this particular aspect of the wok.

Carl

Not a wok guy but I assume seasoning is going to be the same as found on a cast iron skillet. Traditionally you'd scrub the bottom with coarse salt to get rid of loose residue, I've found a stiff nylon brush or scrub pad (NO SOAP) under hot running water substitutes adequately. Salt does have the added virtue of picking up that last bit of oil that just won't come out otherwise, though.

More than one way to skin a cat, etc.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Hi Carl,

I use Tane Chen's method for seasoning a wok also. That carbon buildup is perfectly natural. Before every use I moisten a paper towel with oil and wipe the wok out until the soot goes away. As time goes by the bottom center of the wok will get that black non stick patina.

Did you see Grace Young's new book "Stir Frying to the Sky's End"? Great book and there's a nice photo of Tane in it with her stir fry cabbage dish.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

Thanks for the advice. I may have just been too gentle :biggrin: . I tend to pamper my cast iron and carbon steel more than I should. I'll try both the salt scouring and a little wiping down the pan prior to cooking to see if I get better control over the carbon build up.

I have looked at Grace's book on Amazon, and I might buy it. Previously my only cookbook was Dunlop's Land of Plenty, which I loved tremendously. Currently I'm using the Wok Shop's complementary cookbook for a little inspiration until I commit to some cookbook purchases, likely Dunlop's Sichuan and Hunan books, but maybe also the Grace book.

I used to get a "dry patch" at the bottom of my wok where the heat was the hottest, but now I've been using it for a while, this has disappeared. I clean my wok while the dish I've cooked in it is being carried to the table, while it's still hot. I put it under a hot tap, and scrape all the bits away with a wooden spatula. Then a quick tong with a dry paper towel to dry, then back on the heat - when it smokes, more oil goes in and I smear it around with tongs and a paper towel. I've never used salt or soap, even after getting rice stuck on it in the beginning. My patina has really come along.

• 2 weeks later...

You're worried about having metal dust in your food? So, I would heat the wok up on the stove, and take some oiled paper towel and run it around the inside with some tongs. If the paper remains clear, it should be okay, no? After a deep-fry, I'd think that you'd have a good strat on your re-seasoning. The other thing to check might be the oil that you used during the frying - have you drained and strained it? If it's clear, you should be okay.

I was still a little concerned about this, so, I scrubbed everything off and re seasoned my wok with the Tane Chen's oven method. I was very happy about the result because the finished wok looked very different than before. After re-seasoning I deep-fried in the wok for 2-3 times but after washing, when drying the paper still comes a little grayish. Is this normal? :huh:

Edited by Franci (log)

I bought my wife a Lodge cast iron wok as a joke way back when we were dating. She was constantly mentioning how much she wanted a wok. The only problem was that she almost never cooked from scratch. This wok is massive and was a pain for her to store in her postage stamp sized kitchen in her tiny apartment. It weighs 12-15 lbs, which made is quite luggable to move around. As expected, it sat on top of the microwave and was never used... until we got married.

The wok is now used 3-4 times a year. I am very happy with the wok. It gets insanely hot, but takes a long time to do so. The best way I have found to heat it up is with charcoal on my weber grill. The rest of the year, it sits in the corner of my kitchen and is used as a fruit bowl.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I was still a little concerned about this, so, I scrubbed everything off and re seasoned my wok with the Tane Chen's oven method. I was very happy about the result because the finished wok looked very different than before. After re-seasoning I deep-fried in the wok for 2-3 times but after washing, when drying the paper still comes a little grayish. Is this normal? :huh:

Yes. You're going to get tiny loose bits of seasoning, old oil, etc. until the seasoning gets to the patent leather stage, which can take a good while depending on how intensively you use the pan. If it's just a bit of gray I wouldn't worry about it, if there's a lot (as in, noticeable in the pan) try scrubbing it out with salt or a brush as I posted above.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 3 years later...

I've decided to buy a new wok. I'm going to buy a carbon steel wok but I'm a little unsure about the diameter. The one I've currently got is 12 inches in diameter. I'll be using it on a home gas cooker. I think that 12 inches diameter is a little small. Are there people on here with any views regarding size? I was thinking of 13 and possibly even 14 inches in diameter wiht a flat bottom. Thanks.

Edited to add that I've been looking at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Steel-Wok-33-cm-13-inches-Flat-or-Round-Bottom-in-variation-listing-/131009038650?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_Cookware_GL&var=&hash=item1e80bf493a

Edited by Ader1 (log)

It really depends on how many people you usually cook for.

12 inch sounds a little on the small side to me (no sniggering in class!). That would be OK for one person servings.

I have am approximately 14 inch (behave yourselves!) which works for both just me and for larger groups. But weight is also a consideration. Mine is cast iron, so somewhat on the heavy side, but I love it!. And when you use it for two or three meals a day you need something durable.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

"------- with a flat bottom.----"

Why?

Nearly all domestic use woks on sale in China have flat bottoms these days. Why? To use on gas hobs and free standing induction heaters for hotpots. Round bottomed woks were designed for use with solid fuel stoves which are rarely seen now.

I've been struggling to find round bottomed woks for two to three years.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Unless you have a high BTU wok burner I think that a properly seasoned 14-inch heat-retaining flat-bottomed cast-iron wok that's used on a gas stove works best.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Unless you have a high BTU wok burner I think that a properly seasoned 14-inch heat-retaining flat-bottomed cast-iron wok that's used on a gas stove works best.

OK I think I'll go for a 14 inch wok. Trus DiggingDogFarm to introduce a cast-iron work to the discussion. :-) I was going to go for a carbon steel wok. I suppose that would be lighter. How about for cooking purposes ie heat retention? What do you guys think?

To throw out a differing opinion, I've used round bottomed woks on electric coil stoves and gas stoves without issue. They're not ultra steady, but they will balance without an issues, and don't require a wok stand.

Carbon steel is not fantastic for heat retention but it will get up to heat and return to heat very quickly. Cast iron comes in two flavors - Western and Chinese. the Western ones (such as that Lodge) are EXTREMELY heavy and cumbersome, and not well suited for fast stir fries in my opinion. Chinese cast iron is lighter and better.

Edited by Hassouni (log)