• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai near Biblio Nat/Palais Royale (2ème)?

RandyB

I remember reading recently about an interesting Thai restaurant in the 2nd. I just can`t remember where I read it or the name.

I`m looking for a lunch place to take a friend who works at the Bibliotèque Nationale. There are many ethnic restaurants in the area but most appear quite boring. What I read sounded much better.

Any thoughts on this?

It's not Le Baan Rai is it; too far away and in the 1st.

No. but I think I found it by chance today. I was doing some errands at Mora and G. Detout and found it nearby in the rue Mandar. Not all that close to the Biblio Nat.

It's called Silk and Spice. Do you know anything about it? They have a website, but it's one of those where the designer didn't care about users with anything less than superfast broadband. My internet in Paris is pretty good but the site still loads like molasses.

The link that should get you past some of the opening garbage is Silk and Spice menus This links to a French page. There is apparently an English version of the site, but I wasn't about to go back to the beginning to switch to it.

There is also Baan Boran, near Palais Royale which is quite good.

Also, there is a place called Num, on rue Coquilliere in the 1st near Les Halles, surrounded by tourists traps, that was surprisingly good. At first glance, it looks like the kind of place that would cater to the see-and-be-seen crowd, with no regard for food, but I've been twice and was pleasantly surprised with the food. The chef was previously the sous-chef at Thiou.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

There is also Baan Boran, near Palais Royale which is quite good.

Also, there is a place called Num, on rue Coquilliere in the 1st near Les Halles, surrounded by tourists traps, that was surprisingly good.  At first glance, it looks like the kind of place that would cater to the see-and-be-seen crowd, with no regard for food, but I've been twice and was pleasantly surprised with the food.  The chef was previously the sous-chef at Thiou.

I went through the Digest and while Silk & Spice has been written about by everyone (Galesne, Pudlo, Figaroscope) there's nothing startling and it sounds more pan-Asian or pan-South East Asian than Thai.

Phyllis advice sounds better.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I went through the Digest and while Silk & Spice has been written about by everyone (Galesne, Pudlo, Figaroscope) there's nothing startling and it sounds more pan-Asian or pan-South East Asian than Thai.

Phyllis advice sounds better.

Thanks to you both. I'll try to check out Baan Boran. Unfortunately, their site is another one of those where the designer was really not thinking about users. The only way to look at a menu online is in a popup window. Either the windows just aren't working, or they have such questionable features that neither of my browsers will allow them to to display anything once the window opens.

I ate at Baan Boran a couple of years ago (happened to be staying in an apartment in the Palais Royal and a French friend wanted to have something a bit exotic) and found it okay but nothing amazing.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Baan Baran is fine - not expensive - NUM I found to be very less than average in all ways

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog