• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

#6 can of green beans

NancyH

This past weekend, I was gifted with a #6 can of green beans for use at my next catering event, which will happen at the end of September. The name of the event is "The Play's The Thing" and my hospitality theme is "Fun Playing With Food."

I never use canned vegetables, and don't really like canned green beans at all - but I can't look a gift horse in the mouth. So - any great ideas for a three bean salad or other dish that even I will like, that I can serve to a crowd?

Oh - and yes, you read that correctly. Despite September 12 shoulder surgery, I will be directing, if not actually cooking, for the event at the end of September.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I'm interested in ideas here too. Being broke means watching the sales, and this week cans of three not-so-great-when-canned vegetables: green beans, corn, and peas; are on sale. Three beans salads sound like a good idea, especially since green beans tend to turn color in a marinated salad regardless of how fresh they start, but I like a bit more crunch in green beans in salad than canned can provide.

If I had it to use up, I might throw it into a soup or stew at the last minute, but I'm short on ideas as well.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

Is the green bean casserole with the mushroom soup and french fried onions too declasse? All I know is that protests to the contrary, it sure seems to disappear fast at potlucks.......

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Here's a very old Italian-American recipe....though it calls for fresh beans, they are cooked very thoroughly--therefore, canned beans could be added near the end of the cooking time.

Potato & String Bean One Dish "Wet Meal"

6 to 8 med. size potatoes

1 pound fresh string beans

4 cloves garlic

1/4 cup olive oil

1 large can whole peeled tomatoes

salt and pepper to taste

Peel and quarter potatoes and boil until fork tender. Snap off beans' ends and parboil them, saving half the liquid. Saute garlic in oil, and before garlic browns, add tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer on low flame "until the aroma tells you it is ready". Add potatoes and beans, cover and simmer another 45 minutes.

Since I am limited to stove cooking and crockpot serving, I'd like to do a cold salad. I just can't think of anything appetizing.

I like the potato and string bean suggestion, though. It could certainly be finished and served in a crock pot.

Check out the Senior dining thread for a bean salad( it uses green beans, celery, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc). Its a cheap side dish and it can and should be made ahead. It gets better with age. The seniors love it and I happen to think its pretty tasty too.

Just top them with mass quantities of sauteed onions and mushrooms, and crispy bacon....how bad could that be

I wont get into the canned green beans that were the only veg one Christmas dinner...of course purchased at a Kosher market that morning

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Check out the Senior dining thread for a bean salad( it uses green beans, celery, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc).  Its a cheap side dish and it can and should be made ahead.  It gets better with age.  The seniors love it and I happen to think its pretty tasty too.

Found it! It looks perfect! Can you give me approximate proportions of ingredients? Equal parts of all the beans? How much water, sugar, vinegar? Regular white vinegar?

Thanks for the help! BTW - that's an awesome thread.

You might try Green Beans Provincial. Steam beans, Gently fry up garlic, onions with S&P, plus herbs de Province in a bit of butter or EVOO. When onions soft & translucent add fresh tomatoes (peeled & de - seeded) simmer for 5 minutes then add the cooked green beans.

Stir all well & let rest serve at room temperature or cold.

Duh! Canned beans. Cooked right? Ignore steaming instruction. Brain only slowly in gear in the morning.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

Check out the Senior dining thread for a bean salad( it uses green beans, celery, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc).  Its a cheap side dish and it can and should be made ahead.  It gets better with age.  The seniors love it and I happen to think its pretty tasty too.

Found it! It looks perfect! Can you give me approximate proportions of ingredients? Equal parts of all the beans? How much water, sugar, vinegar? Regular white vinegar?

Thanks for the help! BTW - that's an awesome thread.

Here is the recipe as wrtten from my Mother-in-law. IIRC, I used some more beans, added more celery, onion and green pepper( diced), added green beans( recipe called for wax beans), added some celery seed. My MIL tends to stick to recipes like glue, but I only use them as a guideline. She makes this every xmas and keeps it cold in the garage. I used a large( costco sized) Hellman's container. That amount fed 45ppl. Just taste the "sauce". I think I added more vinegar too.

Bean Salad:

1 can lima beans

1 can red kidney beans

1 can wax or butter beans

1 can cici beans (chick peas)

1 can romano beans

1 stalk of celery cut fine

1/2 cup onion cut in rings

1 green pepper sliced

Sauce

3 cups white sugar

2 1/4 cups white vinegar

3/4 cup water

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Boil sauce and cool 1/2 hour. Pour sauce over

bean mixture and let stand at least 24 hours.

Here is a pic

gallery_25969_665_354785.jpg

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Here's a very old Italian-American recipe....though it calls for fresh beans, they are cooked very thoroughly--therefore, canned beans could be added near the end of the cooking time.

Potato & String Bean One Dish "Wet Meal"

6 to 8 med. size potatoes

1 pound fresh string beans

4 cloves garlic

1/4 cup olive oil

1 large can whole peeled tomatoes

salt and pepper to taste

Peel and quarter potatoes and boil until fork tender. Snap off beans' ends and parboil them, saving half the liquid. Saute garlic in oil, and before garlic browns, add tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer on low flame "until the aroma tells you it is ready". Add potatoes and beans, cover and simmer another 45 minutes.

The cajun version of potatoes & string beans is similar, except it has no tomatoes and is seasoned with smoked meat (ham, tasso, andouille, salted pork, ham hocks, etc). Saute diced smoked meat in a little oil, add chopped onion & garlic, fry until fragrant, then add the beans & potatoes (cut into chunks), a couple of bay leaves, salt and pepper, and a few branches of thyme. Simmer until beans are soft & potatoes fork-tender. Since you're using canned beans, cook the potatoes in water until tender, then add the canned beans and heat gently until flavored throughout.

• 1 month later...

I want to thank everyone who took the time and effort to help me with this question. The winner was Calipoutine's Bean Salad - it was a delicious hit! Unfortunately, between the tumult, and my still-slinged right arm, I didn't get a close up of the final product, but I posted the photos I did take on my blog: here.

One person, who just underwent major cancer surgery and was also diagnosed with diabetes and heart issues (and so, was on a very restricted diet) loved the salad, and took the leftovers home!

The salad was so good - I'm thinking of making it for "Winter Wonderland" (where we are guest-cheffing Friday dinner) in December. Thank you Randi!

I want to thank everyone who took the time and effort to help me with this question.  The winner was Calipoutine's Bean Salad - it was a delicious hit!  Unfortunately, between the tumult, and my still-slinged right arm, I didn't get a close up of the final product, but I posted the photos I did take on my blog: here.

One person, who just underwent major cancer surgery and was also diagnosed with diabetes and heart issues (and so, was on a very restricted diet) loved the salad, and took the leftovers home!

The salad was so good - I'm thinking of making it for "Winter Wonderland" (where we are guest-cheffing Friday dinner) in December.  Thank you Randi!

Glad you liked it!! I'll have to show my MIL next time she comes over as she gave me the original recipe. I changed it a bit, as its very forgiving!!

At the start of the thread I was going to make a smart ass comment like give them to the food bank and enjoy the tax deduction but; I never cease to be amazed by the folks here and what they can come up with. I am impressed and I will have to make that salad.

While realizing that maybe there were uses for weird things like canned green beans I remembered something from my youth.

My Grand mother and my mother both were from the coal mining areas of east KY and Tenn.- near Middlesboro [i think that is the spelling]. Their cooking seemed to me, after I had left home and found out that you would not die if the steak was more pink than gray, to cook it 'til it was dead and then add a few minutes for safety.

There is one dish that I have tried to recreate and I guess I'd call it long cooked beans. A pot of green beans with a big hunk of ham hock or bacon in it, slow cooked all day. Now my grand mom would finish it with a spoonfull of bacon grease but that is a bit more than I want to do.

Would canned beans work for something like this? Would I dare serve it to my friends?

Robert

Seattle

There is one dish that I have tried to recreate and I guess I'd call it long cooked beans.  A pot of green beans with a big hunk of ham hock or bacon in it, slow cooked all day. Now my grand mom would finish it with a spoonfull of bacon grease but that is a bit more than I want to do.

Would canned beans work for something like this?  Would I dare serve it to my friends?

Frozen beans work a little better than canned (the canned ones can disintegrate if you reheat the dish a couple of times). Southern style slow cooked veggies are a delicious art form; you're aiming for a texture that's velvety and soft, lush and silky. Make sure you bake a big pan of cornbread for sopping.

If your friends turn their noses up at honest, tradtional homecooking, go find yourself some less uppity friends.