• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese bakery and restaurants

I occassionally go to visit friends between Shoreline and Tacoma. I would like to bring them egg tarts, coconut cream buns, etc and take them out to a good authentic Chinese restaurant.

However, I have had to resort to buying Chinese pastries from Vancouver and bring it up because I cannot find even one Chinese bakery in Washington.

As for Chinese restaurants in the Washington area, my friends cannot even suggest one they find comparable to Vancouver. When they visit Vancouver, they order take out to bring home to Washington with them.

Is there a thread that lists what I am looking for in Washington, between Shoreline and Tacoma?

Well, there are at least a half dozen Chinese bakeries in the international district alone, not to mention one near Sears in Bellevue (Regent Cafe) and one (last time I checked) in Factoria mall. There's also an old-school Japanese-style bakery near Factoria Mall called Seabell.

Regent Cafe on the Eastside used to be pretty good as a Chinese bakery, less so as a restaurant. Yummy House works reasonably well in Seattle. Sweet & Fresh used to be a favorite up on 8th near Weller, but they've changed ownership as far as I know, and may be run by a Vietnamese family; haven't been there in ages.

Comparable to Vancouver, I don't know, but certainly passable. Egg tarts can also be procured at House of Hong and similar Yumcha places.

For restaurants, I'm currently a fan of the Chinese and vegetarian menus at Chiang's in Lake City, but they also have a more "American" items on their general menu for those that are happier with deep fried stuff in sticky sauces.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

My friend and his girlfriend, a native from Taiwan, swear there is the best Taiwanese place in South Tacoma - a strip mall, I think. Sorry, I don't have the name. Maybe girlchow knows. I will check with my friend.

Here's a link to it!

(Hmm, so maybe it isn't Taiwanese!)

We just had a very good dinner at Top Gun, behind the movie theaters at Factoria (Bellevue.)

Edited by tsquare (log)