• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kind of like a pig roast

BRM

I am planning a party for some friends and colleagues. What I would like to do is a pig roast but its only going to be for 14-16 people and I really don't have the space to roast a whole pig. Currently I've ordered a bone-in shoulder at 9-10 pounds, ~3 pounds of belly and some rib roast, probably around 6-8 pounds but easy to go up or down on this. What I wanted was to get some different parts of the animal with some different textures and fat content. Dinner is going to be served at around 3 pm.

I've read through the 'butt' thread and a few others on the site that deal with pig roasts. I have a bullet smoker and a weber kettle and I have the ability to do cold smoke and hot smoke.

because the dinner is early I have been toying with the idea of applying some smoke the afternoon before and holding the meat in a low oven overnight and then doing some finishing the next day. I'd like this much better than getting up at 2 am to get started.

Does anyone have any experience with doing it like this? Anything I need to be careful of? Is 225 a good overnight hold temp, or should I go lower? Does it make sense to do all the cuts this way or just the shoulder? Any other thoughts or words of wisdom here (other than lots of =Mark's sauce which I am already on top of).

Thanks

Edited by BRM (log)

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

I can't speak necessarily to the other cuts you mentioned in your post, but why not just do all the shoulder ahead of time (when you *have* the time), shred, put in heavy duty bags (freezer bags if you are going to freeze it) and then chill till the day of your party. Put the pork into a crockpot, slap the lid on and it'll be perfectly re-heated by 3 pm when your party starts.

I've done this for many a catered party and it works out really well. Maybe add just a teeny bit of water to the crockpot to help keep things moist.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Nothing wrong with that. I am picking up my meat two days in advance so that would only save me a day. I do like the 'theater' of standing around the grill with a beer with the smoke billowing out and the meat all nice and brown on it knowing full well as i would that this is just for show. Just adds to the experience a little.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

Do the shoulders ahead so you know they are ready and have fun smoking/grilling the rest with your guests ...you really dont want to over do the rib roast.

You could also braise the belly maybe with some Asian spices and then finish on the grill

I am doing something similar in a few weeks and probabley the only thing coming "right off the grill" will be chickens

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association