• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Fu

BRM

I picked up a small container of pork fu at the asian market I usually go to. Its dried shredded pork flavored with soy. How is this generally used? The results of my googling haven't yielded much that looks very...well...asian.

Thanks in advance

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

I picked up a small container of pork fu at the asian market I usually go to.  Its dried shredded pork flavored with soy.  How is this generally used?  The results of my googling haven't yielded much that looks very...well...asian.

Thanks in advance

I've never seen the name "pork fu", but from your description, it's what my kids would eat right out of the container. Most often, we eat it as a topping for congee - rice gruel - Chinese chicken soup - comfort food.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

How about snacking on it as is?

This is what I have been doing thus far. Putting it in soup or congee seems like a good idea. It's pretty dry as is.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

It's good in a sandwich - white bread (the squishy stuff) spread with butter (or margarine) and then lots of the pork floss.

I've also eaten it with glutinous rice and on prawn crackers (the latter preparation is from Thailand).

In my college days I shared an appartment with a guy from Indonesia. He liked to mix the dry shredded pork with steamed rice (and crack some shrimp chips and some fried peanuts). That's Indonesian style though.

I have eaten some Chinese bread (baked bao) with dry shredded pork sticked on the top. Taiwanese style I think.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"