• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corpse Revivers

eje

When I explain Corpse Revivers to people, I usually say they were more of a class of drinks from the 19th Century than a specific drink.

Drinks for, "the morning after the night before," to quote McElhone in "Barflies and Cocktails".

But I find scant evidence of Corpse Revivers in any of the pre-prohibition cocktail books I have at hand.

To the best of my knowlege there are about four known Corpse Revivers.

1) Vermouth, Apple Brandy, Grape Brandy

2) Gin, Kina Lillet, Cointreau, Lemon, Absinthe

2a) Gin, Swedish Punsch, Cointreau, Lemon, Absinthe

2b) Absinthe, Champagne (or when attributed to Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon.)

Does anyone have pre "Savoy Cocktail Book" or "The Official Mixer's Manual" sources for these drinks?

2a) may have been a 20th Century innovation of Trader Vic.

2b) is usually attributed to Frank Meier at the Ritz Paris.

Anyone got any solid ideas for 1 or 2?

Is No. 2 a Harry Craddock drink? He did love using the Cointreau.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

There is also a "Savoy Corpse Reviver" dating to 1954 from Joe Gilmore at the Savoy, consisting of equal parts brandy, Fernet Branca and white crème de menthe.

As for the naming convention, I think it is quite old. There were all kinds of drink categories back in the 18C -- although I think that most of them "defined" a feeling and perhaps a style, time,situation or manner of imbibing rather than more well-defined categories such as a Julep. This we have from Notes and Sketches of the Paris Exhibition, by George Augustus Sala (Tinsley Brothers, 1868) on page 374:

While thirst is my theme, let me mention, with gratification, a great establishment for the slaking of human lime which was in the exterior zone. Messrs. Dows and Guild, and nother and kindred firm, who added to their raison commercial the familiar name of "Van Winkel," started a grand American bar, and a grander American restaurant. At the bar, and from syphon tubes decorated with silvery figures of the American eagle, were dispensed the delicious "cream soda" so highly recommended by the faculty. "Cobblers, "noggs," smashes," "cocktails," "eye openers," "moustache twisters," and "corpse revivers" were also on hand; and I dare say you might have obtained the mystic "tip and tic," the exhilarating "morning glory," the mild but health-giving sarsaparilla punch, to say nothing of " one of them things," which is a recondite and almost inscrutable drink. I remember being treated to " one of them things" at Boston, by a young gentleman who was a "Sophomore" of Harvard College; indeed, I think we took two of "them things." The effect produced on me was an impression that I had set fire to the Temple of Diana at Ephesus, combined with an ardent desire to slay Professor Agassiz, and take refuge from justice at the top of the Bunker-hill monument. In fact, "I felt bad." The kindly Sophomore at once suggested a curative whose action was instantaneous and efficacious. I may not mention its components; but it is called, "one of them other things."

I think of "Corpse Reviver" as being more or less along the same lines as drinks like the "Moustache Twister."

• Like 1

--

I've only been able to find a couple of recipes,

From "The Gentleman's Table Guide, Being Practical Recipes for Wine Cups, American Drinks, Punches, Cordials, Summer & Winter Beverages" by E. Ricket and C. Thomas, London, 1871:

CORPSE REVIVER

Use a wineglass.  Half wineglass of brandy, half glass of Maraschino, and two dashes of Boker's bitters

From "The Steward's Handbook" by Jessup Whitehead, Chicago, 1903

Corpse Reviver - A long, thin liqueur-glass filled with equal portions noyeau, maraschino, and yellow Chartreuse, one on top of the other without mixing them; to be taken off at one draught.

But plenty of references in 19th Century periodicals, most often from Englishmen abroad describing life in America, such as Charles Dickens, in "All The Year Round, A Weekly Journal"

I went to the bar, and called for a "corpse reviver;" a medicinal and potent drink indeed for persons troubled with philanthropic scruples.

And, from the May 4, 1879 issue of Punch, this description of the opening of the French Exhibition

I looked around.  The American Department attracted my attention.  America is the Child of France.  America is the home of Liberty, of Equality, of Curious Drinks.  I approached.  I was offered a sombre beverage with a name full of meaning.  It was called "Corpse Reviver."  I raised the glass to my lips.  I gave a toast - "Wisdom and Power, the Stripes and the Tricolor, the Past, the Present, and the Future - in a word, France and the United States."  I drank.

It suddenly occurs to me that "The Corpse Reviver" would be a really, really cool name for a bar.

ETA: If I remember correctly, William Grimes said a bit about the history of the Corpse Reviver in "Straight Up or on the Rocks", but I can't find my copy anywhere.

Edited by jmfangio (log)
  • Like 1

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

• 6 years later...

Zachary Pearson wrote 'Tis Pitty She's a Corpse: A Short History of the Corpse Reviver. Enjoy. The photo is of my daughter in Dia de los Muertos makeup for school.

A timely article, indeed.

It's 12 degrees Fahrenheit outside, -11 degrees Celsius -- warm, perhaps, for some of our northern neighbors, I admit.  But because of all the ice I had not been able to go grocery shopping for a week.  It's not getting better any time soon, so tonight after work I made the effort.  I couldn't take the (more or less) direct route home, I had to walk down a major highway.  In the dark.

I was afraid that I would lose a finger.  In addition to food (limes and half frozen mint) I was carrying a bottle of antifreeze (for me).  Now that I've had a warm shower (my finger is numb, but it seems to be alive, thank you) I whipped up a corpse reviver #1:  PF 1840, Laird's, Carpano Antica.  I think this may grant me the vigor to prepare a proper mai tai.

Seriously, I think the CR#1 is pretty tasty and I don't understand the criticism.  Though I might point out the text says to shake while the side bar states to stir.  I stirred.  If only because I possess lovely underutilized stirring paraphernalia.  And that way I don't have to wash the shaker before my mai tai.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou