• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Training (then losing) chefs

I would imagine that chefs joining The Fat Duck brigade have a fairly steep learning curve to go through given that you use tools and techniques imported from the science laboratory. In addition, turnover of staff in the caterering industry is notoriously high. Do these issue present a particular challenge to you i.e. that you invest time and money training chefs in your methods only to have them move on to another kitchen?

This is a major problem in all kitchens, I just think that in ours it takes around three months for most chefs to get a grip of the kitchen. Not only the techniques and some of the equipment but to come to terms with the size of the kitchen itself; it really is tiny!

I think however, that a bigger problem for us- possibly easing a little now- is the fact that many young chefs feel too intimidated to come and work at The Fat Duck.

This was because there was an image amongst chefs that the kitchen is more like a science lab and that it is full of men in white coats (I don't mean chefs jackets).

Although we do use quite a bit of lab equipment, the kitchen is still essentially a kitchen.

Heston Blumenthal

The Fat Duck

The Fat Duck website