• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bit of gossip: Nuno Mendes' new place

Well folks, we went to Bacchus a few weeks ago, just as it turned into Bacchus Pub and Kitchen.

The very nice new chef, who lives upstairs, turns out a mean potted shrimp. The wild mushrooms with deepfried polenta had far too much cream in the sauce (in the best possible way) and the chips looked delightful. Alas I didn't have any chips but that just gives me an excuse to go back.

Anyway, the news is that Nuno has found a new place, but it's taking rather longer than he thought to start work turning into Bacchus II.

It's going to be in .. are you ready for this? ...Bethnal Green.

Bethnal Green Old Town Hall, to be precise, with a 100 room hotel.

At least, that's what the guys at Bacchus P&K said, and they didn't look like they were pulling our legs.

Are you thinking the same thing I'm thinking??

Sarah

Sarah

Sarah

That he's a glutton for punishment? I'd have thought he'd have been better off going back into tutelage for a bit. Catch up on all those lessons he bunked off the first time round.

S

Sarah

That he's a glutton for punishment? I'd have thought he'd have been better off going back into tutelage for a bit. Catch up on all those lessons he bunked off the first time round.

S

You don't know the half of it - sigh! :unsure:

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

It's going to be in .. are you ready for this? ...Bethnal Green.

That wouldn't be 1 Old Ford Road, would it? Where Tower Hamlets council has just granted planning permission for Mastelle (the Singapore owner of knock-your-secretary emporia in Bishopsgate and Farringdon) to carve one of the East End's more interesting buildings into yet another City apartment block/conference centre/glass-fronted foodshovel?

Hm.