• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SQUILLA!...?

ned

One of these buggers came up in my son's net in Long Island Sound a couple of weeks ago and then yesterday I saw a whole mess of them in NYC's Chinatown. Tried to cook them once before, kind of treated them like shrimp or lobster, and felt the result was, well, not palatable. Anybody out there have a fondness for squilla and some technique they'd like to pass on?

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

One of these buggers came up in my son's net in Long Island Sound a couple of weeks ago and then yesterday I saw a whole mess of them in NYC's Chinatown.  Tried to cook them once before, kind of treated them like shrimp or lobster, and felt the result was, well, not palatable.  Anybody out there have a fondness for squilla and some technique they'd like to pass on?

I have no knowledge about these creatures at all. Except that which I just gleaned from perusing their bio at wikipedia. I think I might know why they didn't taste so good ... might want to read for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp

Ewwwwwwww.....they "evacuate" when you cook them?? :unsure:

Blech. Sounds like one of those things best left to a capable professional who knows how to deal with them. Like Fugu.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ewwwwwwww.....they "evacuate" when you cook them??  :unsure:

I think that's a reasonable thing for a creature to do given the circumstances.

Having also just read the Wiki bio, I've gone from "what the hell's a mantis shrimp?" to "ahh, yes, the remarkable mantis shrimp . . . they are neither shrimp nor mantids . . . in Cantonese cuisine they're known as pissing shrimp . . . they can break through aquarium glass with a single strike from powerful claws that they use to attack and kill prey by spearing, stunning or dismemberment . . . mantis shrimp are the only known animals with hyperspectral colour vision - considered to be the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom."

So what do they taste like as sashimi?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

they can break through aquarium glass with a single strike from powerful claws that they use to attack and kill prey by spearing, stunning or dismemberment . . . mantis shrimp are the only known animals with hyperspectral colour vision - considered to be the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom."

Holy Crap. Why does this make me want to eat one? I must be very sick..... :wacko:

Thanks all. Somehow still slightly ambivalent about cooking the squilla again. . . did find some amazing (and some not so amazing) squilla videos on the youtube.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"