• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Profiteroles

ulterior epicure

Cream puffs. I have about two dozen cooling on the rack right now. I need to transport them tomorrow morning. I don't have time to make a pastry cream filling, so I plan on piping them with whipped cream. Should I do them tomorrow morning? Or, can I pipe them tonight and refrigerate them over night? Will that make them go soggy?

Any suggestions?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

In my experience they go soggy *very* quickly once filled: I'd definitely wait until tomorrow. Even then, they will absorb some moisture from the atmosphere and not have that wonderful crunch that they have right now. You might want to eat a few yourself immediately so you get the benefit! :smile:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

In my experience they go soggy *very* quickly once filled: I'd definitely wait until tomorrow. Even then, they will absorb some moisture from the atmosphere and not have that wonderful crunch that they have right now. You might want to eat a few yourself immediately so you get the benefit! :smile:

*GRUMBLE* - I was SO hoping you'd tell me that I could pipe them now so I don't have to tomorrow morning.

So, tonight, I will store in an airtight container.

Thanks Chris.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

How early will you be eating them?

You can cut them in half and dry them in the oven until very, very dry. Then fill with really stiff cream and refrigerate until ready to eat, you know, for breakfast. Any later than that, just fill in the morning.

How early will you be eating them?

You can cut them in half and dry them in the oven until very, very dry.  Then fill with really stiff cream and refrigerate until ready to eat, you know, for breakfast. Any later than that, just fill in the morning.

They won't be eaten until around noon. I'll pipe in the morning and drive quickly (but carefully).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The first (and last time) i made profiteroles, within two hours of letting them sit in the fridge filled with whipped cream, i found that the fillings had been completely absorbed by the pastry! Has anyone ever experienced this? Could it be that my cream wasn't stiff enough or pastry not dry enough?

Good luck with transporting them, ulterior epicure!

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

for the best results texture wise, I pack them separately and fill on site with a chilled bag. It doesn't take much doing and even at an informal party it is nice to get a conversation going.

And people don't think you brought Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts. (Don't laugh, true story from one of my students.)

Good luck with transporting them, ulterior epicure!

Thanks, it turns out the issue was moot. I filled them right before I left home. I was afraid we'd have to refrigerate them because I didn't figure people would want profiteroles at 9am. They were gone by 9.15. :blink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account