• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salone Del Gusto, Torino 2008

hathor

My WebpageSalone del Gusto, Oct 23-27, 2008, Torino

Who is going, and does anyone have time or interest in meeting up?

I think I'm going. This is the first year in awhile that it doesn't coincide with a major Festa in our town, so I just might be able to get away for a few days.

I will be there from Thursday through Sunday night. Meeting folks is hard at the Salone as it is so very crowded and there is so much to do. If you like when it gets closer we can see if we plan to attend any of the same taste workshops or anything.

I plan dinner on Friday at http://www.extratorino.it/ENG/scheda.php?ID=52&categoriaID=2 and Saturday at http://www.extratorino.it/ITA/scheda.php?I...9&categoriaID=4 Other than that it will be eating at the show.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

This is my first time ..... contemplating if I want to be there for 4 days or maybe just 2. Is there a ticket that covers the whole show, or is it individual? I was online with their ticket agent last night and their website kept stalling, so I couldn't really poke around too much.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Grazie mille.

(workshops are conducted in Italian? English?)

Admission is either by the day or for the entire show. Per day or all five. Everything, including the taste workshops, are translated from their native language into italian. There is a lot of english spoken though. It is not possible to see the entire show. The longer you are there the more you will see obviously. You can buy tickets at the box office there.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

You can buy tickets at the box office there.

Has anyone else tried to buy tickets online? I can't seem to get member prices for the last day (though I can for other days). I sent in a note to ticketone, but I'm not hopeful for a reply ...

Is there any chance they'll sell out? The recent San Francisco event did, which was a shocker. Also: many of the events within the show are already sold out, so if you're interested in that kind of thing, I'd book now.

Edited by jmhayes (log)

It has not sold out before as the convention center will hold upwards of 50K people or more. Events and dinners do sell out each year. The box office will have tickets and if you decide to buy in advance from ticketone and have trouble try contacting Simona Nuvi her email is listed on the site. If you are going for more than 3 days buy the 5 day pass for 30 Euros (member price). I will write to Simona to see if she can help. It is hard to buy tickets online without an IVA# (sort of a SS # for the EU) since ticketone will not process order without it. I am trying to work around it and will keep you posted. Other than that just buy tickets at the Box Office which opens around 11AM to long lines. Be early and prepare to stand for 30 - 45 minutes then prepare to be on your feet for as long as you can take it. The hours are 11- 11 every day but the last.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

OK so all you've to do is register for the ticketone site like any site in USA. Once you do then you can buy tickets online with a CC through the secure server. If you have any questions about what to put where you can ask me or just use a translator like babblefish. I bought 2 five day passes and will pick up at box office in Torino. No IVA # needed for non EU citizens

Edited by dfunghi (log)

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

• 3 weeks later...
My WebpageSalone del Gusto, Oct 23-27, 2008, Torino

Who is going, and does anyone have time or interest in meeting up?

I think I'm going. This is the first year in awhile that it doesn't coincide with a major Festa in our town, so I just might be able to get away for a few days.

"Antiche sere" is a very very good choice.

I wouldn't recommend too much "Amici miei"

Enjoy!

Nico

Has anyone else tried to buy tickets online?  I can't seem to get member prices for the last day (though I can for other days).  I sent in a note to ticketone, but I'm not hopeful for a reply ...

I did get a response: "Ok, we fixed something; try again!" ... which failed. They asked me to try onemore time, and then gave up: I sent in my credit card over email and they sent me a PDF of the 'stampa @ casa' tickets.

nico, I have eaten at A.S. many times and find it to be a fantastic meal and experience every time. Amici Miei I have never tried. Can you recommend an alternate? Neighborhood kind of place with great Neapolitan style pizza and decent pizzeria style seafood? Some place we can show up at 9 or later with a large group of 6 - 8 people? Many of whom are not serious eaters so anything that is good and authentic. I used to go to Silvestri if you know it but the last couple of visits have been a disappointment. We will go to any neighborhood that is not too "sketchy". I chose A.M. because I am staying not to far from the one near parco Valentino.

TIA

David

BTW tickets to Salone are always available at the gate for those having trouble with ticketone.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

nico, I have eaten at A.S. many times and find it to be a fantastic meal and experience every time. Amici Miei I have never tried. Can you recommend an alternate? Neighborhood kind of place with great Neapolitan style pizza and decent pizzeria style seafood? Some place we can show up at 9  or later with a large group of 6 - 8 people? Many of whom are not serious eaters so anything that is good and authentic.  I used to go to Silvestri if you know it but the last couple of visits have been a disappointment. We will go to any neighborhood that is not too "sketchy".  I chose A.M. because I am staying not to far from the one near parco Valentino.

TIA

David

BTW tickets to Salone are always available at the gate for those having trouble with ticketone.

It's just because there are so many restaurants in Turin that I wouldn't recommend a pizzeria (they are not the best in Italy).

Anyway "Amici Miei" is fine, or you can go to "Flegrea" in corso Massimo d'Azeglio

At "Le Rondini" (near Porta Palazzo) you can also have a good risotto.

"Gennaro Esposito" is also good.

Enjoy

Nico

Edited by nico1959 (log)