• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

quality pork belly

So I've recently entered the wonderful world of baconfacturing. While I've found that I can turn out a very good bacon using inexpensive pork belly from one of the Asian supermarkets, I'd like to see what I can do if I start with a really top-quality product.

Niman Ranch and other mailorder sources are an option, but I'd like to find someplace local or local-ish to get good quality pork belly. I've never seen it at the RTM Fair Food stand; any recommendations about where to look?

Andrew, this week's Fair Food Farmstand newsletter (click here to see the current week's version) listed "Fresh bacon (uncured pork belly)" from Meadow Run Farm, Lititz. My guess is that you could always call for a special order, though I'd make sure to call a week ior 10 days in advance. Maybe Country Time can supply it, which would be fantastic. Tom Forrest, who sells at the Chestnut Hill and Swarthmore markets sponsored by Farm To City, might have it, too.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Andrew, this week's Fair Food Farmstand newsletter (click here to see the current week's version) listed "Fresh bacon (uncured pork belly)" from Meadow Run Farm, Lititz. My guess is that you could always call for a special order, though I'd make sure to call a week ior 10 days in advance. Maybe Country Time can supply it, which would be fantastic. Tom Forrest, who sells at the Chestnut Hill and Swarthmore markets sponsored by Farm To City, might have it, too.

I got some from Martin's Quality Meats & Sausage in the RTM a couple of weeks ago, that I braised.

I don't think they usually have it, so you might want to call or stop by in advance.

Thanks for the recommendations! FFF had a small amount of Meadow Run belly (two pieces, about half a pound each, not really worthwhile), but I think I'll give Meadow Run or Country Time a call one of these days.

In the meantime, Martins didn't have it (and wasn't too encouraging), but Giunta's was happy to order some for me. Only thing was, they'd only order 10 pounds or more: that's a lotta bacon! I think I'll have them cut in half, or thirds, and freeze what I don't use right away. Hopefully it'll be good quality; I've been pretty happy with Giunta's in the past, so I'm not too worried.

It may be a little out of the way, but just north of Allentown on Rt 309 there's a butcher shop called Hartman's (on the right as you're heading north, just a mile or two north of the 309/100 intersection). They have a big decorative pig out by the road and I'm pretty sure they make their own bacon, so it might be worth a call.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Har...op.610-298-8232

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

A followup: yesterday I picked up 11 pounds of pork belly I'd ordered from Giunta's. It looks good (nice and thick) and the price was right (came out to $2.75 a pound).

Even better, Mr. Giunta offered to let me bring back the completed piece of bacon so he could slice it for me on the industral meat slicer. That was a classy touch; the sort of thing that makes for happy, repeat customers!

A followup: yesterday I picked up 11 pounds of pork belly I'd ordered from Giunta's.  It looks good (nice and thick) and the price was right (came out to $2.75 a pound).

Even better, Mr. Giunta offered to let me bring back the completed piece of bacon so he could slice it  for me on the industral meat slicer.  That was a classy touch; the sort of thing that makes for happy, repeat customers!

Nice--I really need to get a new smoker and fire up some bacon again. And some pancetta now that its fall.