• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy great cheese outside Paris?

dfunghi

The only place outside restaurant is the shop in Vieux Ferrette, which as you know is next to Ferrette, south of Alsace, 20km SW of Basel. He also has a truck that he takes to neighbouring villages.

Otherwise, expensive restaurants only, such as l'Arpège, Alain Ducasse, Les Ambassadeurs, Ledoyen, Dieter Müller, Tantris, Köingshof in Munich, Schwarzwaldstube or Manresa.

That is not too far from where I will be in Italy (Torino). Only a 5 hour drive. I have done worse for far less greatness. Maybe I need to schedule an overnight to France. That brings up a couple of other questions.

How hard is traversing the Suisse border (with non EU passport) since I need to cross in and out and back in and back out 4 times to go from Torino to Basel. Is it same for all non Suisse passports or do EU get fast track? Monday is my only free day (so far) and I could head up on Sunday and spend all Monday doing things (like eating and buying cheese) so do we know if Anthony is open on a Monday morning? Without time to include Burgundy or anything else too major are there interesting and unique diversions in between Aosta and Basel? I have never been past the Aosta area (Cogne).

TIA

DAvid

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

That is not too far from where I will be in Italy (Torino). Only a 5 hour drive. I have done worse for far less greatness.  Maybe I need to schedule an overnight to France. That brings up a couple of other questions.

How hard is traversing the Suisse border (with non EU passport) since I need to cross in and out and back in and back out 4 times to go from Torino to Basel. Is it same for all non Suisse passports or do EU get fast track? Monday is my only free day (so far) and I could head up on Sunday and spend all Monday doing things (like eating and buying cheese) so do we know if Anthony is open on a Monday morning? Without time to include Burgundy or anything else too major are there interesting and unique diversions in between Aosta and Basel? I have never been past the Aosta area (Cogne).

TIA

DAvid

We drove in and out of Switzerland numerous times in the last year (from Germany and Austria) and never even had to stop at the border. We are Americans. Our car had French plates.