• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Dinner

Hi everyone

Could i have some suggestions for a 30th birthday dinner

in London, first saturday in December for about 12 people, somewhere with a bit of atmosphere and nice food, spend for food about £30

Having a bit of an eating out week, taking him to a couple of nice places, this is more for his friends so its more about the social side but still want to eat something half decent, any type of cuisine, all suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Liz

Edited by LizzyWizzy (log)

arbutus,galvin bistro deluxe, l'autre pied all spring to mind - dare i say it but check out toptable for their special offers as well maybe? Ramsay restaurants do an early supper menu at around £30

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

new tayyab , with that budget you'd have £15 a head for booze easily , BYO too, get some champagne to celebrate or decent rioja or similar which goes well with the grilled meats and curries.

bit of a contrast to fine dining but if you're on it for a week then you'll need a change and some spice!

you don't win friends with salad

Everyone keeps pushing New Tayyabs, but london eating reviews complain that it's crowded and the food really isn't what it used to be. Is there much truth in that?

I'm always surprised when I see a comment on London Eating that isn't a complaint... However: it does indeed get very crowded, with queues both inside and out. I don't have a comparison to "what it used to be", but my recommendation of the lamb chops else-thread is fresh from a couple of weeks ago. Hope that helps a little.

Everyone keeps pushing New Tayyabs, but london eating reviews complain that it's crowded and the food really isn't what it used to be. Is there much truth in that?

I'm always surprised when I see a comment on London Eating that isn't a complaint... However: it does indeed get very crowded, with queues both inside and out. I don't have a comparison to "what it used to be", but my recommendation of the lamb chops else-thread is fresh from a couple of weeks ago. Hope that helps a little.

Is it me or is it de rigeur to bash Tayyabs? I can't testify as to the queues anymore as I no longer live in London, but I can vouch for the food. How so? Well, the gentleman that is Wasim (the co-owner) took pity on this poor soul and couriered up a veritable feast of food a couple of weeks back. Bloody lovely it was too. So I would agree with Gary, get yourself along there. Have a look on the New Tayyab thread on here for ideas re what to order or, if you wish, PM me Liz.

I'm always surprised when I see a comment on London Eating that isn't a complaint... However: it does indeed get very crowded, with queues both inside and out.  I don't have a comparison to "what it used to be", but my recommendation of the lamb chops else-thread is fresh from a couple of weeks ago.  Hope that helps a little.

Is it me or is it de rigeur to bash Tayyabs?

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't bashing Tayyabs — I liked it. I do think it's important to warn people about the queues, though; if you're not expecting them then it might put you in the wrong mood to enjoy the place.

Roger, I also noted Andy Hayler was less than ecstatic about it in his recent review here. Given the feedback you got from raising this I think his last sentence is quite prophetic.

Happy to queue if the food's good. Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated - I was avoiding the place based on London Eating but will give it a try now. Is it easy/possible to reserve?

I was there on a group dinner, and we'd reserved space in the back room — this may only be possible if your group's large enough.

Tayyabs has just won Indian restaurant of the Year in the London restaurant awards, full list below:

London Restaurant Awards 2008 The results:

British Restaurant of the Year - Great Queen Street

French Restaurant of the Year - Galvin Bistrot de Luxe

Italian Restaurant of the Year - Theo Randall at the InterContinental

Iberian Restaurant of the Year - Barrafina

Oriental Restaurant of the Year - Aaya

Indian restaurant of the Year - Tayyabs

Local Restaurant of the Year - Market

Award of Excellence - The Greenhouse

New Restaurant of the Year - Le Cafe Anglais

Toptable.com Best Business Lunch - The Wolseley

Outstanding London Chef - Jason Atherton

Restaurateur of the Year - Michael Belben

Outstanding Restaurant Service - The Greenhouse

Outstanding Contribution to London Restaurants - Mark Hix

aAIM London Restaurant of the Year - Le Cafe Anglais

Best Restaurant Chain - Carluccios

Evening Standard 60 under £60 award - Sam's Bar and Brasserie

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Tayyabs has just won Indian restaurant of the Year in the London restaurant awards, full list below:

London Restaurant Awards 2008 The results:

British Restaurant of the Year - Great Queen Street

French Restaurant of the Year - Galvin Bistrot de Luxe

Italian Restaurant of the Year - Theo Randall at the InterContinental

Iberian Restaurant of the Year - Barrafina

Oriental Restaurant of the Year - Aaya

Indian restaurant of the Year - Tayyabs

Local Restaurant of the Year - Market

Award of Excellence - The Greenhouse

New Restaurant of the Year - Le Cafe Anglais

Toptable.com Best Business Lunch - The Wolseley

Outstanding London Chef - Jason Atherton

Restaurateur of the Year - Michael Belben

Outstanding Restaurant Service - The Greenhouse

Outstanding Contribution to London Restaurants - Mark Hix

aAIM London Restaurant of the Year - Le Cafe Anglais

Best Restaurant Chain - Carluccios

Evening Standard 60 under £60 award - Sam's Bar and Brasserie

Liking the list, GQS and Galvin two of my favourites of the year and enjoyed Le Cafe Anglais as well.

Tayyabs has just won Indian restaurant of the Year in the London restaurant awards

This is an outrage. Tayyabs actually won? This just proves to me that the Judges-the likes of Maschler, Coren, Durack and Rayner et al, know absolutely sod all about food. Not to mention the hordes who are willing to queue up each and every night for the obviously terrible food that is served up to them. The poor misguided fools. No- I'm sticking with Mr Hayler and I don't care what you say.

*Sarcasm mode off*

Excellent news for the team. Really delighted for them. :smile:

Tayyabs has just won Indian restaurant of the Year in the London restaurant awards

This is an outrage. Tayyabs actually won? This just proves to me that the Judges-the likes of Maschler, Coren, Durack and Rayner et al, know absolutely sod all about food. Not to mention the hordes who are willing to queue up each and every night for the obviously terrible food that is served up to them. The poor misguided fools. No- I'm sticking with Mr Hayler and I don't care what you say.

*Sarcasm mode off*

Excellent news for the team. Really delighted for them. :smile:

:biggrin:

Edited by ravelda (log)

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

• 1 month later...

Had lunch at Tayyabs yesterday. It was packed and I had to wait 10 minutes for a table. I was about to have an excellent lunch.

I nibbled on the small plate of salad that appeared almost as soon as I sat down. Chicken tikka came heavy with spicing, but not overdone. It was a good and zingy starter.

Sag Gosht brought a plentiful bowl of lamb. The small amount of sauce was little more than the cooked spinach seasoned and moistened a little further. This was good. Very good. Pilau rice was nothing to write home about but it was properly cooked with a few peas added and was flecked with something or other that I couldn’t determine. A roti came just as I like them – soft in places, crisp in others and with just a bit of charring here and there.

A veritable feast for £12. I just wanted to find a park bench to lie down on for a couple of hours, but there was an afternoon’s touristing to be done.

John Hartley