• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best desserts in best restaurants: where in Paris?

Bu Pun Su

ulterior epicure, it's kind of interesting when you mentioned that you would dine at 2-3 star places due to their great cheeses. This brought me to this question (to everyone),

Would you go to the top restaurants in France (or Paris in this case) mainly because of their desserts? If yes, which restaurants, what desserts and why? For me, it's still the main courses and/or appetizers that will "drag" me to certain restaurants. Thanks

ulterior epicure, it's kind of interesting when you mentioned that you would dine at 2-3 star places due to their great cheeses. This brought me to this question (to everyone),

Would you go to the top restaurants in France (or Paris in this case) mainly because of their desserts? If yes, which restaurants, what desserts and why? For me, it's still the main courses and/or appetizers that will "drag" me to certain restaurants. Thanks

The chocalate tart at L'ambrosie, the Baba at Ducasse, and the Tomato at L'arpege are three special desserts that i would love to sample again and again.

I would *not* go to any high end restaurant anywhere that didn't have at least excellent desserts. It's my favorite part of the meal :smile: . That factor is one thing I am taking into consideration in deciding where to eat in Paris. Cheese isn't as important to me - but I love great cheese. Note that most of these restaurants serve a lot of food - so it is not unusual for my husband and I to order one cheese course - and then one dessert course. Robyn

There are such restaurants, but it is a double edged question: they have a great pastry chef but also the savouries are not quite as interesting. To me that is exactly the case with le Meurice. But the general case is quite the opposite, methinks: often desserts are not up to the rest of the meal, partly because one is already way too full. To me l'Ambroisie and Guy Savoy are dessert champs, but I would not say that the main reason to go is their dessert, whereas I would say that about le Meurice.