• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scottsdale with a group

I'm off to Scottsdale to the Marriot Mc Dowell Mountain Resort with a group of 10 next weekend.

It'll probably be like hearding cats to get folks to agree on dining options, but I want to have options ready so we don't wind up at PF Changs or the like. Is there anything in the general area, that would be appropriate for a large diverse group?

I was also thinking , that I might try and assemble a meal in one of the suites at the hotel from ethnic and prepared food outlets (Not including Whole Foods or Wild Oats) or, possibly, get great takeout: Chinese, Barbeque, pizza etc... Any recommendations? My wife wants to try Roys for an intimate dinner... What's the word on Roys' these days?

Thanks in advance for any help you might have.

If you're going to buy food to prepare, try visiting one of the LeeLee markets. They are huge Asian markets with tons of fresh everything (frog legs, eels, live crab, durian, longans, trumpet mushrooms), and good representations of food from all over, including the middle-east and India. They are at 75th Ave & Cactus, and, Dobson & Warner.

My favorite place to eat, and they can accommodate large groups, is Tapino on Shea near Scottsdale road. It's a tapas place and a winebar, with a huge wine & sherry BTG menu. If you make reservations, the chef/owner can accommodate special diets. My vegan friends love it, so do my carnivore friends. My husband who does not drink lives it. They have indoor and patio seating.

I stumbled on Malee's a few years ago when I had to go there for an annual meeting. It's in old downtown Scottsdale and a very friendly vibe. I liked it a lot and, the next year when I planned ahead a bit more and asked a local friend where to eat, this was on his short list.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I love Earl's at Frank Lloyd Wright and the 101. Very lounge-y, cool, hip but casual, and we had no issues with a group of 10 there. They have a very flexible seating arrangement in the dining area. Close to your resort too. Earl's Pima .

In the same shopping area is a Four Peaks Brewery. Four Peaks Brewery. Love Kiltlifter!!

Some of my Scottsdale relatives give high marks to the Skeptical Chymist. Skepical Chymist. I haven't been yet, but they seemed to really enjoy it. I have eaten several times at Fibber McGee's, the sister restaurant, and enjoy it very much.

My mantra for those visiting Scottsdale is a night at Greasewood Flat. Greasewood Flat. Outdoor bar with great burgers. It's at an elevation that when the sun goes down, it gets nice and cool. I don't consider this place a tourist trap. Very relaxing and very Arizona. Thursday thru Sundays they usually have live music outside. Lots of room for large groups. Did I mention the great burgers? :wub:

If you want good ethnic eats, Sabuddy's, an Israeli restaurant, is up on Shea and 70th St. They recently moved from Tempe to Scottsdale, which broke my heart, but the food and service has always been wonderful. Try the lentil soup! SABUDDY'S!!

Edited by lemniscate (log)

I love Earl's at Frank Lloyd Wright and the 101.  Very lounge-y, cool, hip but casual, and we had no issues with a group of 10 there.  They have a very flexible seating arrangement in the dining area.  Close to your resort too.  Earl's Pima .

In the same shopping area is a Four Peaks Brewery.  Four Peaks Brewery.  Love Kiltlifter!!

Some of my Scottsdale relatives give high marks to the Skeptical Chymist.  Skepical Chymist.  I haven't been yet, but they seemed to really enjoy it.  I have eaten several times at Fibber McGee's, the sister restaurant, and enjoy it very much. 

My mantra for those visiting Scottsdale is a night at Greasewood Flat.  Greasewood Flat.  Outdoor bar with great burgers.  It's at an elevation that when the sun goes down, it gets nice and cool.  I don't consider this place a tourist trap.  Very relaxing and very Arizona.  Thursday thru Sundays they usually have live music outside.  Lots of room for large groups.  Did I mention the great burgers? :wub:

If you want good ethnic eats, Sabuddy's, an Israeli restaurant, is up on Shea and 70th St.  They recently moved from Tempe to Scottsdale, which broke my heart, but the food and service has always been wonderful.  Try the lentil soup!  SABUDDY'S!!

All of these places seem to be perfect, for our mostly East coast group. Many Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Many Thanks for the tips. We went to Earls Pima on Friday night and each of the twelve guests was very happy with the food and service. My friends were also very impressed with eGullet when I explained how I discovered the place. Egullet rocks!